missile & hybrid motor data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
The company library was throwing away old issues of Aviation Week & Space Technology and I happened to grab the Feb 3, 2003 magazine. (Go see this particular issue at your local library?)

I kept the cover (good photo of Lock-Mart's Hybrid Sounding Rocket) and pages 50 through 54, containing articles on testing new hybrid rocket designs (pp. 50 -53) and testing wax for use as ideal hybrid fuel (pp. 52 - 54).

The new sounding rocket is a 57-foot long single stage bird built by Michoud in New Orleans, using a 60,000 lb thrust oxy-rubber motor; this was flown at Wallops on Dec 18 2002. The test vehicle design was basically a two foot diam tube with shuttle insulating foam sprayed onto the forward section (oxy tankage) and conventional aerodynamic fins at the rear. Someone might want to take a crack at a scale model of this bird.

The article on wax fuel may be of interest to our high-power motor manufacturers. Apparently this substance has a lot of advantages over other hybrid fuels, and has been oxidized with both oxygen and nitrous oxide. Let's see the ATF try to categorize candle wax as explosive.

These magazine clippings are free to whoever wants 'em (or if a bunch of you want to see it, I'll make photo copies) if you send me a stamped self-addressed envelope. Unfolded magazine format is 8 x 10.5 so if you don't want the full-page cover color photo wrinkled, you need to send a suitably-sized mailing envelope.

I am not looking to make any money from this, simply to distribute a little data to any interested parties. First posted request gets the original. Any other posted replies can obtain photo copies up until the day I mail this off.

Dave Landgraf
PO Box
Fort Worth TX
76108-0871

NOTE: I am no longer using this POBox address

This is a shot of the overall vehicle. The picture has a little bleed-through (the magazine prints on THIN pages) but you still get the general idea.

This is a nice photo of the rear of the rocket, showing lots of detail of the fins & attachment, as well as the launcher

Muchas gracias!

BTW, the launch was visible from the DC area and it prompted many calls to the local TV stations. I don't ever remember hearing anyone say they could see launch plumes from Wallops before.

Back