Mini-BBX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
I plan to build one this winter. I don't want to use the CPR3000 option (too expensive and I want to be able to use motor ejection sometimes).
Any suggestions for how to build a payload section for it?

Chilly...

What diameter? You can build the model with a break at the center...keep the coupler in the upper section and convert the coupler to a Altimeter Bay. The lower charge would fire at apogee and push the coupler/upper assembly away from the lower assembly/fin can. The upper charge would fire and eject the nosecone and main parachute. This is pretty much standard for small to large dual deploys.

Good choice on making your own Alt bay. I have the CPR3000 and, although it is a slick and very cool setup, the one thing I despise is that is puts stress on the altimeter when the ejection charge fires. The main ejection charge on the CPR compresses/flex's the Altimeter circuit board. Over many launches, my boards now need work due to loose connections, which I believe are caused by this effect.

Doing your own Alt Bay is real easy to do, just let us in on more details so we can help.

Carl

The Mini-BBX inner diameter is 2.1". What sort of mods need to be made to the payload bay & coupler section? Do I just need to drill a couple of holes in the bulkhead? Should I also add an o-ring around the lip? Not sure where everything goes and I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around it.

My plan is to eventually fly it with the Terrier booster stage (I want to use every inch of that 9300' waiver at the new field!).
But I have access to a smaller field close to home and want to still be able to fly it on G64's and G80's.

Been out of touch with Gary since he's moving - do you know if the new field will be available year-round? I'm thinking it will be.
Hope to meet you at the inaugural launch if I can get that Sat. off work. If it works out I'll finally cert L1 that weekend.

It's not completely year round if I understand correctly - it's a potato farm, so not quite all year, but more than Goraj.

Loopy

Chilly,

I forgot to ask one more question...is it built already or are you getting ready to build??? This would make a big difference in what to do.

I too am getting excited about the new site...I just posted the maps yesterday, so let me know if they make sense.

Carl
https://www.tripolimidohio.org

If you go to my site (link below in signiture) and navigate to the dual deployment link you can see pictures of how I'm making the aviation bay on my MINI BBX. It's not totally done yet but the bay itself is pretty much complete.

I have a Mini-BBX that is mostly complete. It has a few coats of primer and I still need to build the altimeter bay.

I am building the altimeter bay to hold an AltAcc so that effects how I will do it.

The altimeter bay will be built from a six inch length of coupler and will have the body tubes for the drogue and main attached with screws on either end.

I will cut a second piece of coupler two bulkhead thicknesses shorter than the first, slit it and remove enough material so it will fit in the first, and then glue it into the first. One bulkhead will be glued into place on the drogue side and the other will be held in somehow. I am not quite sure how I will do this yet because there just isn't enough space inside to get two threaded rods past the AltAcc. I can get one past it easily but it looks like two will be a trick.

I will only need two holes in the external body tube because I will recess the AltAcc mounting screws into the coupler.

If I ever decide decide to fly it to really high altitudes using the Terrier booster, I will build a new altimeter bay long enough to hold a tracking system. Hopefully one based on APRS, but that is another project. :) For now I will use smaller motors with the first two staged flight planned for H242 to G54.

Another trick I have learned is to attach a wiring harness with connector to the AltAcc which I never remove. I started doing this after observing several people reverse the drogue and main connections. This way I figure I will only have to wire it correctly once instead of every time I install the altimeter.

David Schultz

Originally posted by CTulanko
Chilly,

I forgot to ask one more question...is it built already or are you getting ready to build??? This would make a big difference in what to do.

I too am getting excited about the new site...I just posted the maps yesterday, so let me know if they make sense.

Carl
https://www.tripolimidohio.org

Actually it's not even in my possession yet. I'm either getting it for Christmas or my b-day in Feb (I know this 'cause my wife thinks its cool looking and my son's a good little spy). :D

Anyway I want to build it right for future add-ons without having to cut it pieces later.

The maps on the website look great - the aerial photo is a pretty slick touch.

Back