Mid Power Newb Questions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxDrPxX

Reaction score
Hello,

Im Todd form Las Vegas. I have flown many an estes LPR, and recently decided to take my son out for some fun. He had a blast launching estes, and unfortunately due to a bad batch of B motors we had our rockets turn into lawn darts. :facepalm: Seeing that it seems impossible to get kids out of the house these days, I decided to step up our game so to speak. I bought, and built the Aerotech Initiator Kit. Yesterday we used single use f20-4w for our first launches, and everything went perfect. He had a blast, and me even more so! Well now I am going to make a rocket for "me." I was thinking of getting the aerotech HV Arcas, and wanted to take the step of getting reusable motors. I think I need to get the RMS 29/40-120 for flying it on F and G motors. Just want to make sure I am buying the proper case to use. Any help in steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I did read on these forum a lot before I built the initiator, and even did things like use apoxie sculpt to create fullers on the fins, and made sure I used the proper glue, etc. Just want to continue on the right track.

Heres the initiator completed. Paint is just ok, and the yellow rattle can came out chunky, and was not smooth at all.

Nice pool - rocket looks good too!

The RMS 29/40-120 is a nice case.. I have two of them. There is a nice selection of E, F, and G motors for that case.

Welcome to the forum!

I think the rocket looks great! 29/40-120 is possibly the most popular and commonly used RMS case out there, so I'd say you can't go wrong with that one. It's the case/size where you can save about half the cost of a SU (Single Use) motor and has a nice variety of loads and smoke (ex. Green, Smoky Black Jack, White Lightning, etc.). I have multiples of this size case and use them at pretty much every launch.

Make sure to assemble the motor carefully as per directions and do some background research on tips for assembling. Happy flights! :)

+1 on the 29/40-120 as a starting point. After that, step up further to a CTI 29 starter kit... The H410 is a fantastic little motor.

+1 for the pro29 starter set . Way easier/quicker to load .

Hey,
Congrats (& condolences to your wallet) on getting "bit by the bug." You should look and see if there are any clubs out in your area...I'm sure there is, with all that desert around there. It's just begging for stuff to get launched.

The Aerotech 29 40/120 case is definitely the case to get, for launching and saving money. You can get the smaller cases (the 24mm), but the cost savings isn't as great. Again, finding a club locally will be your best bet, and people can show you what they have, and you can take a look at it. Honestly, there is so much info out there it is hard to make a decision...when you see stuff and see people use it, it will make a lot more sense and it will be easier to understand. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the replies. Well I have 2 cases inbound, and a g force and mustang inbound. Lol I couldn't make up my mind so I bought one on the larger side and one on the smaller side. There is a Tripoli Las Vegas club here in town, unfortunately they meet Thursday and Saturday and I work thurs-sunday. :(

The G-Force is a great rocket! Excellent flights on G motors to under 1,000 feet. Or if you get certified, you can fly H or even I motors in that rocket. It's big --- probably the biggest rocket you can fly without a certification. Have fun, and congratulations on interesting your kid in something outside the house!

Back