Micro Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonathanOtt

Reaction score
This is a re-draw of Bob Harrington's Goblin.

I utilized Chris Michielssen's 3-ply fold-over fin building technique and it worked out great.

This mini rocket uses a BT5 body tube, and a NC5-A nose cone from the Estes 003160 NC5 nose cone 5-pack.

I have not simmed this, but it's really super close in design to Chris Michielssen's "Carded Der Red Max". It actually uses the same build techniques, it's just a little taller and has one more fin.

The second page of the PDF is build instructions and I think I covered everything.

Give it a build and let me know how it all works out for you.

Feedback is appreciated.

Jon
Micro Goblin.jpg

Attachments

• Micro Goblin.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Really cool. I was just working on one of these. You got the "3" decal right! (wings-up) The old version only had two bats, I like how you put some extras. There was also an optional Estes logo.

If you wanted to make a cardstock nose cone, a BT-5 (13mm) is available here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-paper.26616/#post-247340

I kind of like the BT-20 (18mm) version, but print it at 13/18= 72% scale, the shape is slightly different.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-paper.26616/#post-236679

Here is my first attempt at the 13mm BT-5 Goblin, the entire tube is rolled from cardstock, not sure if I would use a 13mm engine, or an MX engine mount instead. The rocket next to it for comparison is my cardstock Sting Ray booster and sustainer from the mini Tri Pak Estes #0866. I was going to make a cardstock nose cone for it, but an unpainted Estes BT5 cone is in place for now. When my printer gets low on black ink, it leaves streaks that don't look so great. Clear coating helps, you can see the difference in the Sting Ray after clear coat compared to the mini Goblin before clear coat.

DSC_7657.jpg

Last edited:
Really cool. I was just working on one of these. You got the "3" decal right! (wings-up) The old version only had two bats, I like how you put some extras. There was also an optional Estes logo.

If you wanted to make a cardstock nose cone, a BT-5 (13mm) is available here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-paper.26616/#post-247340

I kind of like the BT-20 (18mm) version, but print it at 13/18= 72% scale, the shape is slightly different.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-paper.26616/#post-236679

Here is my first attempt at the 13mm BT-5 Goblin, the entire tube is rolled from cardstock, not sure if I would use a 13mm engine, or an MX engine mount instead. The rocket next to it for comparison is my cardstock Sting Ray booster and sustainer from the mini Tri Pak Estes #0866. I was going to make a cardstock nose cone for it, but an unpainted Estes BT5 cone is in place for now. When my printer gets low on black ink, it leaves streaks that don't look so great. Clear coating helps, you can see the difference in the Sting Ray after clear coat compared to the mini Goblin before clear coat.

View attachment 360221

Lookin' good Glen!

This is a great little rocket! I have made three of them. Put an A in one of them and it might still be going!

I just had to make a couple of micro Goblins! This is a great rocket to both build and fly and I like it way better than the Mosquito. For mine I added a paper tab of one and seven eights inches on the right side of the rocket body tube graphic and then was able to roll it and make the body tube that way. I also made the nose cone from paper and added Titebond yellow wood glue to the fins and body tube to make it much stronger. In my photo are my two new Goblins, a cardstock Hornet and the Yellowjacket done with a kit bash of the Star Trooper. Thank you for your wonderful plans!!

Attachments

• IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 32
Nice job! I don't think I ever posted my PDF of the Goblin pattern, just a slightly different body tube pattern. I add the extra wrap for the body tube, so you can roll a 2-ply tube with a little extra overlap. This nose cone is from the Project Paper thread patterns.

Attachments

• GOBLIN.pdf
    194.3 KB · Views: 35
Glen P, As always nice work on your paper Goblin plans. I will probably have to make one of yours as well. Did you ever make the one from the cardstock models blog that we now can't access? I think that that one was a little different.

No, I just made my own template in InkScape.

Glen P, Here are two Goblins that I just made from your plans. One with a paper nose cone and one with a plastic one. Thanks for putting your plans up here.

Attachments

• IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 21
This is really awesome. Much appreciation for the templates and build instructijons!

Back