Mega Red Der Max nose wieght

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Dub 4009

Reaction score
Anyone out there build a Estes MRDM with a 38mm mount ? Playing with open rocket and looking at stability it seems that I don’t need to add any nose weight with building the nose cone to have an avionics bay into it and it weighing about 13 oz ish. Stock is a bit over 10. I’d prob limit it to a 4 or 5 grain but it looks stable without adding nose weight. Anyone with these build specs find the need to add nose weight for stability, and if so, what was your total nose cone weight when all said and done?

Yes, here's my open rocket file. I've only flown 2 grain 38s so far, but will ramp up here soon. my build and details are on the forum.

Attachments

• Mega Der Red Max.ork
    3.6 KB · Views: 10
Mine also has an A/V bay in the nose, it adds about 3OZ without the sled.

Attachments

• 20190816_151107_resized.jpg
    20190816_151107_resized.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190816_151424_resized.jpg
    20190816_151424_resized.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 11
I am building a TobyClone with a 54mm in it. Those big draggy fins helps the stability without too much nose cone weight. Looks good with only the nose cone bay, and the sled will add a bit more. Not if only the sealer on the fins ever gets unsticky so I can do something with it.

I am building a TobyClone with a 54mm in it. Those big draggy fins helps the stability without too much nose cone weight. Looks good with only the nose cone bay, and the sled will add a bit more. Not if only the sealer on the fins ever gets unsticky so I can do something with it.
OK, did a search and TobyClone comes up only in your post. Is this a "send the cruit out to find the key to the travel lock" moment? Could you lend a butha a definition? 🙂

OK, did a search and TobyClone comes up only in your post. Is this a "send the cruit out to find the key to the travel lock" moment? Could you lend a butha a definition? 🙂
That would be a Toby Vanderbeek clone same guy who offers the Cherokee-H kit among a few other kits iirc.

That would be a Toby Vanderbeek clone same guy who offers the Cherokee-H kit among a few other kits iirc.
Found the Red Der Max on facebook. Kind of a difficult guy to find. Guess he gets enough business by word of social media. :D (old guys like me remember word of mouth. It went from mouth to ear. Now its mouth to HUGE megaphone, social media). Anyway didn't find the Cherokee, sounded interesting. Thanks for the info, pretty much everybody is complementary about his work.

Found the Red Der Max on facebook. Kind of a difficult guy to find. Guess he gets enough business by word of social media. :D (old guys like me remember word of mouth. It went from mouth to ear. Now its mouth to HUGE megaphone, social media). Anyway didn't find the Cherokee, sounded interesting. Thanks for the info, pretty much everybody is complementary about his work.
Not terribly hard to find the man. You just have to know where to look. He’s president of the world’s largest NAR rocketry club, LUNAR.

He does a very small business under the name VanderBurn. Also puts up some nice rocketry review videos on youtube.

I remember him when he was still in knee pants at AMA Free Flight contests with his dad.

Q: “How do I find this Toby?”

A: “You don’t. He finds you.”

LOL!

Ahh. I coined the phrase then? I want a nickel every time someone says it. Starting now...

Yep that Toby.

I got the MDRM as a gift from TRF Secret Santa. I wanted the nose cone bay so I contacted Toby, whom just happened to pop up on Facebook as a suggested friend, and I went ahead and upgraded to 54mm and stepped thrust plate. Timely response and fair prices. Had one small problem, one of the centering rings broke as I was unpacking it. It was the mid ring, hardly any meat to it, and I didn't need it anyway. He offered to replace it but it really wasn't needed and it was my fault to begin with.

His latest is a 3" version of Estes Hi-Flier maybe? Don't remember.

Back