Marc's build of the Fliskits Adfecta

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the Sealer White was dry, I hit it with a coat of Auto-Borne Auto Air White.

It may be a day or two before I can do detail work with other colors but here is the current state:

Adfecta 063.jpg

I masked the bottom and put a coat of Auto Air aluminum base on the exposed motor mount and cooling fins. I will eventually paint the cooling fins black, and they will match the small secondary fins which will also be black. I'll take care of this during the weekend, most likely.

Meanwhile, here's how the fron end is coming:

Adfecta 065.jpg

I also put a fade onto the transition. The fins shown here will be painted black as mentioned above:

Adfecta 064.jpg

Progress is slow, but continuing...

Hey slug boy...you'r still not finished with this thing? :eyeroll: :pop:

With these colors I can't wait to see the end product.

Oh, so close, but I had some epic masking tape fail. My fault of course, not Tamiya's.

But first some glory shots:

Adfecta 066.jpg
Adfecta 070.jpg
Adfecta 071.jpg

I decided to to with Wicked Colors Detail Carmine Red for the small fins and also dip just the tip of the nose cone in. The cooling fins got black, and the rest of the motor mount was aluminum base. Then I used some Detail Smoke Black around the edge of the motor mount to make it look exhaust stained (all Wicked or Auto Air colors).

The crying started when I pulled the tape. Clearly my masking-fu needs work. I got bleeds where tape joints overlapped. I should have put some base color down to seal it before hitting it with the red. Here are some detail shots of the carnage:

Adfecta 068.jpg

Adfecta 069.jpg

Actually the angle of the bottom section shows the one well-masked fin... the other three suck. And pretty much all of the top small fins show bleeds.

I haven't decided how to fix it. The yellow has poor opacity and from my past experience, trying to cover the red will make it worse. Even if I lay down some opaque white, when I later try to make the yellow match, it will be horrible.

I have an idea on how to fix it with some trim monokote. Well, "fix" would be a bit generous, but "effectively cover" might be more accurate.

Wish me luck. Also note: the thing about Trim Monokote and acrylic paints is once you put the monokote down, it is down. Pulling it up will definitely peel the paint off the surface. So if I use TM, I get one shot at each application...

Last edited:
Here's a thought on how to fix the over spray...

Once completely dry use a hobby knife to scrape away as much of the red as possible. This will give you a cleaner surface on to which to paint on the yellow with minimum bleed through of the red through the yellow...

That's a good idea, and I've done something like this in the past. The problem I encountered was that getting the new yellow to build to match the shade of the old is very challenging.

Meanwhile, I've worked on the lower section. Since the red bleed through on this section was over white, and white is very opaque paint, I used a very fine brush (just a few bristles, really) to use some Opaque White and cover the red bleeds. Worked out great. I also used a little bit of black to touch up a few areas where the black on the cooling fins wasn't perfect.

Update:

I decided against the Monokote solution for now. I masked off the bottom part of the transition and then hit the whole area that was yellow and red with opaque white. This effectively covered the area.

Then I re-yellowed the area and tried to do a fade to red on the outer parts of the fins. But overspray made it a bit messy so I decided do the whole area in red. I used Wicked Crimson red. I'll let it dry thoroughly and then do some detailing with white.

It'll be fine. Pics will come when I'm done with the pain...

OK, painting is done:

Adfecta 072.jpg
Adfecta 073.jpg
Adfecta 074.jpg
Adfecta 075.jpg
Adfecta 076.jpg

I increased the size of the nose-tip red with a fade. Covered over much of the yellow with white then red, fading to white. Wing tips got white. A band of black Trim Monokote to give clean separation between red and yellow. I may add another band where the nose cone meets the body tube because there's an unfilled line there that the band would mask. I'll see after I add decals.

I'm going to coat the decals in Future (pure, no simple green) and let them dry overnight. Maybe start applying tomorrow.

beautiful job!!

OK, painting is done:

View attachment 117844
View attachment 117845
View attachment 117846
View attachment 117847
View attachment 117848

I increased the size of the nose-tip red with a fade. Covered over much of the yellow with white then red, fading to white. Wing tips got white. A band of black Trim Monokote to give clean separation between red and yellow. I may add another band where the nose cone meets the body tube because there's an unfilled line there that the band would mask. I'll see after I add decals.

I'm going to coat the decals in Future (pure, no simple green) and let them dry overnight. Maybe start applying tomorrow.

OOO, fancy shmancy...time for decals.

Decals indeed.

Jim doesn't always make decals for his kits, but when he does, he does 'em proud.

I just finished a 2.5 hour decalling session with Adfecta. They are drying now. Details this weekend, but since we have a "if there are no pics, it didn't happen" rule, here's one picture to prove the deed is done:

Adfecta 077.jpg

The blue tube is just a holder; not part of the kit.

Yes, this workbench is a messy disgrace. I'll clean 'er up this weekend.

Peace, all.

OK, here are some more pics. I put one more decal on since the last picture, and it's now complete except for a gloss coat.

Adfecta 078.jpg

Adfecta 080.jpg

Adfecta 081.jpg

Adfecta 082.jpg

Adfecta 083.jpg

A few notes: the decals were top quality laser printed decals. No problems with them whatsoever. I did put a coat of Future over them before cutting them out; the final gloss coat will be Future as well. They should blend in well.

I tried Sodmeister's technique of setting the decals into future after using warm water to release them from the paper. I found the Future, which is very slippery, made it very easy to position them to the right spot. I then blotted them dry in position, then a little while later I sealed the edges with future on a thin brush. Once it was fully dried, the edges were largely blended smoothly and the final gloss coat of Future should make it all lay down nicely.

I had one problem in all this:

The wrap decal at the top of the main body tube which is around a centimeter wide was too wide for the space available. I must have made the fins/strakes just a bit too large, because there wasn't enough room for the full wrap. I cut it down and used part of it there, and used part of the remainder to make a wrap around the top body tube right beneath the nose cone. Worked out fine.

Oh, and I also put one of the nameplate decals on upside down. Oops.

Tomorrow I'll Future it...

WOW!! that really turned out great!!

OK, here are some more pics. I put one more decal on since the last picture, and it's now complete except for a gloss coat.

View attachment 118240

View attachment 118241

View attachment 118242

View attachment 118243

View attachment 118244

A few notes: the decals were top quality laser printed decals. No problems with them whatsoever. I did put a coat of Future over them before cutting them out; the final gloss coat will be Future as well. They should blend in well.

I tried Sodmeister's technique of setting the decals into future after using warm water to release them from the paper. I found the Future, which is very slippery, made it very easy to position them to the right spot. I then blotted them dry in position, then a little while later I sealed the edges with future on a thin brush. Once it was fully dried, the edges were largely blended smoothly and the final gloss coat of Future should make it all lay down nicely.

Oh man, that came out sweet!

Glad you enjoyed the build, WE sure did! :)

Can't wait to see some flight pix...

Marc, that turned out very nice ,a great job on the build and paint !

I just got home from the US with my Adfecta ,but doubt I`ll get as fancy with the paint work as you did.

Another beautiful build.

Sincerely

Paul T

Thanks guys!

I coated the whole bird in Future (Straight, not with simple green, as I was worried the mix would eat the paint too much and blur my lines).

She's nice and glossy, though I somehow bobbled and dropped the bottom section as I was admiring it. Put a dent into one of the fin edges, but not too bad. I'll get a glory shot of it sometime soon. No chance for a launch for a bit, I'm not a polar bear launcher... (hmmm, what engine would work to put a polar bear in the air?).

Marc

A very nice build and thread. Looking forward to the video.

I got a chance to launch her when I attended the AMOREA launch on the east side of Indianapolis last Sunday.

While I didn't get video, I did shoot stills. I'm still learning the ins and outs of my camera, but here are some decent crop shots of her flight on a C11-3 with the 1" spacer:

First, the eager anticipation on the pad:

Adfecta on pad close up.jpg

She leaps into the air:

Adfecta Liftoff.jpg

It's gusty up there! (yes, I know I need to lower the film speed when capturing descents!)

Adfecta under chute.jpg

Safe touchdown!!

Adfecta touchdown.jpg

Next launch I'll try for video, but I'm happy with the flight. An absolutely beautiful ride up and down!

Marc

Aw freeekin some!!!
:clap:

Don't bother with the video. Good close crops are worth a million blurry tiny focus-hunting frames. :p

Again beeeeeyoooootiful! :handshake:

Back