Looking for ideas to change engine retention on an Arapahoe-E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I'm starting construction on an Arapahoe-E (from Squirrel Works), and I wanted to change the engine retention from friction fit to something else. I don't like the idea of using tape around the engine to hold it in. Now maybe if I replaced the engine mount tube with something say 1/2" longer then maybe it'd be workable to wrap some tape around the exposed engine to the tube.

I had thought using an engine hook, but that look to me like it'll require putting a notch in the rear balsa tailcone, which will spoil the clean looks.

I don't see how to add a screw-on retainer that won't look like bad.

Has anyone sucessfully modified their Arapahoe-E in this way?

Usually I just let the motor hang out about a 1/4" then wrap tape around the outside of the motor and boattail, the motor has also been lightly friction fit. On upscales its easier to do what you asking as Slimline style retainers can be recessed or an Estes retainer cap can be re-shaped to sort of blend in, the original size is tough as options are limited, A Rocketarium 24mm motor retainer might be recessed until just the ring is exposed.

I'm in the process of building one of these myself and what Rich suggests is exactly what I plan on doing. I briefly thought about getting one of those Estes 24mm retainers but that really takes away from the aesthetics of the rocket IMHO.

I decided to go with Rich's suggestion, and cut another BT-50 engine mount tube that is 1/4" longer and will tape it on the outside.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Back