• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Looking for book for sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfischer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a copy of Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry for sale. Please DM me if you have a copy available that you want to sell.

Where'd you find it? Just curious - I have a copy that I certainly didn't want to part with. Also, there has been a project to update the erratta with Dr. Mandell, but it got derailed when the fellow spearheading it got banned here.

A member here had a copy he did not need any longer. In my opinion, a fantastic book, I'm a slow reader but the sections on roll-yaw coupling, roll "stabilization", and practical measurements have finally started to make sense.

I'd very much like to see a 2nd printing for next generation of rocketeers.

Where'd you find it? Just curious - I have a copy that I certainly didn't want to part with. Also, there has been a project to update the erratta with Dr. Mandell, but it got derailed when the fellow spearheading it got banned here.
So since his ban, did he state that he wouldn't be creating either a paper or .off copy?

Maybe I should ask him for my contribution back if he isn't going to complete this.

Last I saw his excuse was his Father passed away, which was at least a year or so ago. RIP Dad.

I owe him an email, it's been a couple of months and I didn't want to let it go that long. This is sad; Dr. Mandell had, according to Dave, finished the errata and they were really close to going. I had written a forward for it (not that i was intimately involved with the project, I didn't even contribute). But then the sparks flew, as Chuck noted, over non-rocketry topics. Never should have happened, the man was a valuable resource and always ready to jump in and provode scale data a photos of all sorts of historical rockets.

Yes, his dad did pass, as @shockie noted, in Jan 2023 as noted on YORF. I hope I can convince him to go on with it. It is a seminal work and a real treasure.

It was at least a scan and PDF of the original with errata. I'm not sure if they were doing OCR and searchable text or not.

ETA: I also have an original hardcover that I bought shortly after publication in 1973 or 1974. No dust jacket, though, but I'm not really concerned with that.

Last edited:
I owe him an email, it's been a couple of months and I didn't want to let it go that long. This is sad; Dr. Mandell had, according to Dave, finished the errata and they were really close to going. I had written a forward for it (not that i was intimately involved with the project, I didn't even contribute). But then the sparks flew, as Chuck noted, over non-rocketry topics. Never should have happened, the man was a valuable resource and always ready to jump in and provode scale data a photos of all sorts of historical rockets.

Yes, his dad did pass, as @shockie noted, in Jan 2023 as noted on YORF. I hope I can convince him to go on with it. It is a seminal work and a real treasure.

@Blast it Tom, I hope that you are successful. A little research shows that Gordon Mandell was born around 1947 or 48 (if I'm off, Gordon, please let me know) which makes him 76 or 77. If his dad just passed away then perhaps he comes from stock that lives long. Still, the energy you need to write a cogent book (or even to edit it) is pretty large, and perhaps the motivation may not be not there. Again, after reading some of what Gordon wrote as editor of Model Rocketry magazine, his writing is very clear and pretty spirited.

Any luck in reaching out to him?

It was not Gordon Mandell's father who passed away, it was Dave, (here known formerly as ez2cdave) the fellow doing the PDF scan. If Dave abandons the project I will reach out Dr. Mandell. Dave holds the exclusive copyright release from all three authors. Is Gordon a member here? I could PM him just to talk.

Last edited:
Tom, Sorry for my misunderstanding and thanks for the clarification.
In another thread, someone cited the link to the book at MIT press (here). In that link, you can request a pdf copy of the book, but the Overlords at MIT press have to approve it. In any case, if easy2cdave has the rights to a scan, it may already exist and he may be able to "liberate" it. I suspect that it does, as the download is listed as 66.33Mb*. Perhaps someone already has been approved and received a copy (I've put in a request but this was today: I expect not to hear back for a while).

*I had a jarring thought: could you imagine downloading that in the era of 9600 baud modems. Ugggghhh.

Yes and double-ugh. I recall once using a 300 baud acoustic modem to upload rest data to a mainframe computer in engineering school, long years ago. You put the old telephone ☎️ (yeah, that kind) handset into the thing!

I made a similar request to MIT, but they no longer have the rights; the authors do. So their PDF may exist or may not, but you cannot have it!

I really have to get back to Dave. He was banned over at YORF a couple of months after he was banned here. At YORF, the issue was NAR competitions, apparently. I guess his views are in conflict with the NAR board, and I don't know the details but it I think he feels that the NAR leadership is allowing competitions to die out. He engaged in some ill-advised hyperbole - stuff you could say face-to-face and be understood, but perhaps not on a forum, and got booted there.

I don't know what has caused this change in him; on rocketry topics he'll bend over backwards to help out. I just hope that somehow we can find out and help him, as well as save this project. He's a 49 year NAR member, I hate seeing it end this way.

I would seriously consider taking this to a professional printing company and have them scan/ocr it and create a .pdf.
Where's Kinko's when you need them?

Vern Estes once mailed me his complete collection of The Model Rocketeer and I scanned each and everyone. Also OCR them to create a searchable database.

Unfortinately, I decided to take a trip to the dark side of the web and ended up with malware that literally ate my disk drives up.

And I had no backup of course☹️

If it could be ocr'ed then a searchable file could be created and placed on TRF and YORF/YORF

I would seriously consider taking this to a professional printing company and have them scan/ocr it and create a .pdf.
Where's Kinko's when you need them?

Vern Estes once mailed me his complete collection of The Model Rocketeer and I scanned each and everyone. Also OCR them to create a searchable database.

Unfortinately, I decided to take a trip to the dark side of the web and ended up with malware that literally ate my disk drives up.

And I had no backup of course☹️

If it could be ocr'ed then a searchable file could be created and placed on TRF and YORF/YORF
Unfortunately as well, Dave holds the exclusive permission to do that duplication, what you say is exactly what he was almost done doing, apparently. He posted it on the thread that we were discussing the matter on, not sure if you recall, but I'm pretty sure you posted there, especially since you contributed financially.

That's the issue, I'd do the same thing and be happy to do so. I don't have either the errata or the permission.

Last edited:
It was at least a scan and PDF of the original with errata. I'm not sure if they were doing OCR and searchable text or not.

ETA: I also have an original hardcover that I bought shortly after publication in 1973 or 1974. No dust jacket, though, but I'm not really concerned with that.
I had about half of it OCR'd and the equations mathtyped in, but nobody seemed interested.

I had about half of it OCR'd and the equations mathtyped in, but nobody seemed interested.
Yeah, I do recall that, and to be honest, that would be a wonderful way to go - I like those math typesetter programs. I hope you preserved some of it, and perhaps if we can get this going again, your labor won't be in vain.

Back