Looking for a forum like this re model airplanes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RC airplane I received as a gift a while back. It came without the actual RC gear, no receiver or transmitter. I’m at a loss as to what to get.

Can anyone here point me to a forum/website? Or if you’d like to PM and help me yourself, that’s cool too.

Thanks in advance.

I have a RC airplane I received as a gift a while back. It came without the actual RC gear, no receiver or transmitter. I’m at a loss as to what to get.

Can anyone here point me to a forum/website? Or if you’d like to PM and help me yourself, that’s cool too.

Thanks in advance.

What is the brand and model of the RC PLane?

It depends how seriously you want to fly RC. If you're looking to so a lot of RC flying its worth getting something good like Spektrum and FRSky. Six channels is a minimum, 8 is better to allow for growth.
If you're looking to do just to fly this one model then go cheap.

Depending on the Model and Brand their are inexpensive Spektrum TX/RX radios, they put them in the "ready to fly" smaller park fliers on-line and at the Hobby Town stores.

I have flown RC for over 40 years now. Like asked above, what do you have and what do you want to do? I am a Futaba guy myself. Most radios now will come with model memory, so you can use it for many different models, from planes, gliders and heli's. For sure get 2.4 GHz don't buy an AM or FM radio any more. Dynasoar Rocketry makes RC rocket gliders, might want to look at that also. Depending on your plane, 3 channels are minimum. 1 each for elevator, rudder and throttle. Or, 1 each for aileron, elevator and throttle. But I am pretty sure you would have to buy a 4 channel radio. Most will come with a RX, some with servos also. Your plane might need full size servos or minis. A pic of the plane would help also. As with anything, if you have never flown RC, try to find help. It is possible to do on your own, I did. But I did crash a few learning. Number one thing is, do not get discouraged if you crash, it IS going to happen sooner or later. Please feel free to ask any question you may have.

Last edited:
This is what I have.

Could also use advice on the battery/charging. The instruction booklet is flat terrible. I’ll post that in a few.

Attachments

• IMG_6011.jpeg
    IMG_6011.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6012.jpeg
    IMG_6012.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6013.jpeg
    IMG_6013.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The charging instructions refer to some parts you don't seem to have. So they aren't helpful to you now.

I have a Hobby Fans B6 charger. About $30 on Amazon.

Doesn't look bad, a knockoff of the Multiplex Easystar. I suggest you find someone local to help you up the learning curve.

Those instructions are far from the worst I've seen :)

If there are ne servos, HiTec HS-55 should work fine. I see you have a flight battery. You'll need a charger with a deans connector as that is what your battery already has on it.

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=41...QANIBCDg3NjFqMGoxqAIAsAIA&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=HCTS
Many to choose from for your budget. Charge your battery at 1c. This should be on the charger you choose. Make sure the charger you buy will have a balancer. That is the small white plug on your battery. The deans is the red one. /that gets plugged into the speed controller, ESC. follow the directions on the charger
Use either epoxy or foam safe CA, do not use regular CA as it will melt the foam.
Here is link to many radios, choose one for budget and your current needs, can always upgrade in future if you want.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/radios...=grid-card&cp_campaign=spektrum-brand-landing

Use either epoxy or foam safe CA, do not use regular CA as it will melt the foam.
It's a rocketry forum so we had to get onto glues eventually LOL.
I uses UHU POR for foam. NOT the standard UHU.
Brown gorilla glue is useful for repairs as it foams and expands when it sets. It looks a bit messy afterwards but is easy to use.

It's a rocketry forum so we had to get onto glues eventually LOL.
I uses UHU POR for foam. NOT the standard UHU.
Brown gorilla glue is useful for repairs as it foams and expands when it sets. It looks a bit messy afterwards but is easy to use.
Also, E6000 is a good foam safe glue. It's readily available at Walmart.

Used to be *all* the balsa kits came with zero RC gear, you'd spend $100 on a big kit, and the motor and rc gear were parts you supplied. It wasn't until the Chinese entered that market that you got these RTF kits with electric motors. I still have issues of Model Airplane News from the 1970's and trust me, the RC guys built almost everything themselves.

Back