Looking for a bicycle-stand-to-launch-pad Transformer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
No evil killer squirt can stop me from biking, so I'll be biking this summer.

Can anyone recommend a bicycle repair stand that can double as a rocket launch pad? Or a DIY launch pad made from a bicycle stand?

By having it being reversibly convertible from one function to the other, I can justify the expense.

I have Park Tools portable stand. I think it is the PCS 9.2 or a close model. I have been working on our bikes during downtime at work and the stand is with me today. I think a 1010 rail would fit right in the jaw with no modifications. I can double check when I get home.

PSX_20200426_145325.jpg

I've got the Park Pro Stand (surprised, I'm sure)

there's no way my wonderful stand would ever be used as a launch pad. I'd NEVER do that to it. It's a tool - use it right
I do have a really nice launch pad, a blacksky. It's another tool that does a wonderful job in rocketry. I'd never use it as a bike stand!

JMHO

I can't imagine launching a rocket off my work stand either, but it would work. You'd need a HUGE blast protector though to keep the work stand nice.

I didn't set it up with a 1010 rail, tonight. My 12 hour shift turned into 15 about 20 minutes before I was supposed to get off. I'll look at it tomorrow.

there's no way my wonderful stand would ever be used as a launch pad. I'd NEVER do that to it. It's a tool - use it right

I suppose it depends on how much I end up paying for it. It will be out sight most of the time anyway.

I can't imagine launching a rocket off my work stand either, but it would work. You'd need a HUGE blast protector though to keep the work stand nice.

I didn't set it up with a 1010 rail, tonight. My 12 hour shift turned into 15 about 20 minutes before I was supposed to get off. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Maybe the fumes could be guided away with some kind of channel or duct, instead of charring the stand.

Easy clamping of a 1010 rail would be great.

Edit: I had posted a proud acquisition, but I'm now having issues with the seller. He cancelled the order and listed similar item at 600% the price in another ad. Classy isn't it?

Last edited:
I just checked my Park stand and a 1010 rail fit perfect. A 15mm Mini rail also fit snug enough, but not perfect. My micro Open Beam rail can slide in the grove of a 1010 rail. So a Park work stand or something similar would work, I just wouldn't want to subject my work stand to motor exhaust.

Ok cool.

Edit: I had posted a proud acquisition, but I'm now having issues with the seller. He cancelled the order and listed similar item at 600% the price in another ad. Classy isn't it?

Once I have one in hand, I’ll see if I can do something to deflect motor exhaust or if it’s even worth it. Having a charred stand actually doesn’t sound so bad to me.

Also, to complete the theme of this thread, this Transformer will an Autobot and it’s name will be Blackjack. It’s important to keep priorities straight.

Last edited:
I don't have very many carbon bits on my mountain bike and I ride a steel Surly Crosscheck everywhere else, but I still don't want extra gouges from a work stand clamp that has been fouled and scores by exhaust.

My Park stand is also heavier than a Jaw Stand or most other launch pads. It is easier to carry something smaller around when most of us aren't launching very big rockets outside of a club.

yea, my park pro stand is heavier then my jumbo darkstar. Wouldn't want to lug that beast around....
(OK, I fibbed, but it's heavier then my extreme darkstar in real life)

Thanks for the tips! Nothing is set in stone here, so we'll see!

As I said in my edits above, I had ordered one on eBay, but the seller cancelled the order and listed similar item at 600% the price in another ad. Classy isn't it?

I use the bike stand from Aldi. I went to the local Goodwill and bought some goofy looking round aluminum tray that is 24" in diameter for $2. Popped a series of holes in it for launch rods to go through. It protects all the important bits well.

I use the bike stand from Aldi. I went to the local Goodwill and bought some goofy looking round aluminum tray that is 24" in diameter for $2. Popped a series of holes in it for launch rods to go through. It protects all the important bits well.

I found another one to order and got a tracking number now. Once I receive it, I'll see what I can do.

Since it was relatively cheap, I ended up getting a stand that looks like this:

pushys-repair-stand-RS.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't recommend it for bicycle maintenance. What happens is when I spin the pedals to test the brakes or shifters, the clamp slowly slides off from it horizontal post, until it drops, along with the bike, to the floor. And this is annoying.

I might be able to replace the compressing bolt with a longer one, and add washers, so I can keep twisting it before its head hides into the plastic depression (that part left of the wing-nut), but I don't feel like spending a half hour in a hardware store looking for stupid washers and bolts. Not tomorrow anyway.

Fortunately, rocketry taught me I could tighten a cylindrical fit with masking tape. So that's what I'll be testing with the clamp's "wrist" very soon.

Back