Long burn MPR motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Quigley

Reaction score
I've been fooling around with OpenRocket too much...
(Ooo, minimum diameter N-10,000! Stability of only 0.3 cal? Who cares! :p)
Anyway, now I have an evil plan to make a minimum diameter long-burn MPR. I need some ideas for cheap, single-use 24mm long burns. Any suggestions?

CTI Pro24 F30. 2.36 second burn time.

"cheap" is a relative term

The 24 mm Apogee E6 with a burn time of 7.2 seconds is the only SU 24 mm long burn motor currently in production.

Bob

E6 is your best bet for a reasonably available SU motor with a long burn at 5sec. Get the RC reload for 7 sec.

kj

unless you wish to make a 24mm AV bay you'll want to get an Apogee E6. i'd order a few at once or buy a bunch of other stuff so you don't pay so much just for shipping :)

Apogee E6 and F10. E6 is 24mm, F10 is 29mm. Very, very fun motors.

The F10 seems like it burns forever. If your gonna launch one in a small light rocket make sure you have plenty of space.:D

Long burn times also means a lot of heat. I have read several threads here where people say that the rockets sometimes have scorching on the body tube that surrounds the motor mount after using a long burn motor.

Long burn times also means a lot of heat. I have read several threads here where people say that the rockets sometimes have scorching on the body tube that surrounds the motor mount after using a long burn motor.

I have launched an F-10 twice, the first time I never saw the body tube again, so I don't know what it looked like. Today was my second chance to fly the Aspire on an F-10 and it had to be the best launch of the day. I put an Alt. 2 and sonic beeper in it hoping to find it, but it disappeared again. I thought I saw the mylar streamer come out but lost sight of it for quite a while. After giving up looking, I was walking back to my truck and the LSO called out that the Aspire launched twenty minutes ago was coming down right on the flight line! The streamer was scorched and tattered but the body tube was ok. Unfortunately, the Alt. 2 didn't record anything. :( but at least I got the rocket back....
Long burn motors are great fun, just don't expect to have them land at your feet coming down.

Saw a couple Pro29 G54's this weekend--definitely a long burn MP motor, nearly a full 3 seconds.

Hmm... Does anyone know a good way to prevent scorching? Will it come off with wet wipes?

Check the 29mm CTI 3 grain moonburner- i believe it's a G54.

A lot of people have been recommending CTI reloads...
I think, due to the fact that CTI casings are cheaper than RMS casings, along with the reloads being cheaper than the Apogee SU F10 or even the E6, I may go with that...
What is the likelihood of my losing it at a large sod farm, like the one MMMSClub launches at?

A lot of people have been recommending CTI reloads...
I think, due to the fact that CTI casings are cheaper than RMS casings, along with the reloads being cheaper than the Apogee SU F10 or even the E6, I may go with that...
What is the likelihood of my losing it at a large sod farm, like the one MMMSClub launches at?

Another advantage of choosing the CTI reload is that a Cesaroni rep has come to the MMMS launches. I'm not sure who it is or if they plan on coming to every launch, but the nice thing about vendors is you don't have to pay shipping.

As far as losing the rocket at the site, it depends on the rocket, the motor, and the wind. Both times I've flown my Super Goblin on an AT 24/60 F35 reload I've lost it in a similar sized field as MMMSC's. I was lucky enough to find it both times. The second time was in breezy conditions and it drifted nearly a mile from the pad.

Most likely it was Robert DeHate. He is from AWM Pro-X. He lives in Mass and travels all over to sell CTI reloads. Here is his contact info. He should be at CMASS this weekend.

Robert DeHate
amwprox.com
978-495-2110

He sells most CTI reloads. Prices are awesome too.

F10's were nice in Estes Pathfinders.

There is a F12 reload for the 24/40 AT casing. Not single use, but the casings are cheap. SU motors are not much cheaper.

I've flown a G65 CTI 24mm 6grain long burn at the MMMSclub field, I didnt lose my rocket. It was in a Maxi Alpha 3, made it 75ft before ripping the fins off. It landed well within the field:D. It really depends on the rocket, weight etc. like stated in a previous post.

It was Robert DeHate, if he cant make it to the next MMMSclub launch and or you cant make it to the next CMASS launch let me know. Im sure I can get one of the club members to pick them up and get it to the launch for you.

Back