LOC / PML Live Video this past Wednesday

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
Can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this already but just want to say for those on the Book of Faces there was a live video from the boys at LOC / PML this past Wednesday. It was a ton of fun! They fielded questions (both serious and ridiculous) about kits, materials and where they are at with dealing with the current supply chain issues. Here's a link to the video replay. When they do that again I highly recommend joining in and taking part.

I've never had issues like that. The USLI team I work with had to wait on materials because of supply chain issues and their experience was completely the opposite as well.

They could definitely do better dealing with the supply chain issues. They shipped my order sans the motor retainer (even though it was listed as in stock on their site - and continued to be listed as such for a week or more) without letting me know other than scratching it out on the packing slip and just writing 'ship soon'. Several emails to customer service with 'it will ship next week, and then the next week the same thing. And now 3 weeks later Im still without the motor retainer and at this point am just going to 3D print one and add LOC to my never use as a vendor list. Too bad, Im still flying my PML 1/4 scale patriot that's 15+ years old. I understand things can go out of stock, but this could have been handled much better and at this point they are just pissing me off.

That's a bit harsh. Bug in the computer showing stock, that ain't there. I have a couple of those motor retainers on back order as well.

The rest of my orders have been flawless, and shipped fast. It's not like I need my next build done this weekend or anything. LOL.

If they had just been upfront about it I wouldn’t have cared. Like letting me know after I ordered rather than scrawled on a piece of paper. And then several emails back and forth with promises that it would be ready ‘next week’. Now finally the truth comes out that even now they haven’t been made and will be 2+ more weeks for anodizing. I understand things are out of stock but the way this has been handled really left a sour taste in my mouth. For a business that is driven by people spending their discretionary income, poor Customer service will bite you. I’m sure others have had different experiences but I’ll be looking elsewhere for the for foreseeable future.
I’ve tried one of their in-house retainers and I wasn’t happy at all with it. You’re not missing anything. Metal shavings left on without cleaning it and the threads were sharp like they were cut but never sanded down and smoothed out. I’d like to try a Kozmo retainer soon.

I’ve tried one of their in-house retainers and I wasn’t happy at all with it. You’re not missing anything. Metal shavings left on without cleaning it and the threads were sharp like they were cut but never sanded down and smoothed out. I’d like to try a Kozmo retainer soon.

I ended up 3D printing one and it worked fine. And then after all that, I had a parachute issue and landed on the only road through our field and smashed a fin. I asked if it was possible to buy a new one/set and they just emailed me back with a shipping confirmation and are just sending me new ones. SO - after all my complaining, then that happens. Thus I take back what I said (and will go back to spending my money with LOC/PML).

Good on you for reconsidering based on additional experience. I agree that inventory management can be a challenge, but at the end of the day it is hugely important to not be wrong. For my own business, I put 90% of what I have on my inventory list and 10% as safety stock. This helps when something gets scrapped and when I'm not updating inventory as often as I should. Its a crutch, but helps me not let a customer down more often than not. It also is a good reminder to re-order!!!

Shipping out new fins seems like the LOC I'm familiar with as well, even if you hadn't had a previously bad experience. Cool to hear you're still flying that Patriot so many years later!!!

Sandy.

Back