Loc nose cone shock cord/chute attachment?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam3836

Reaction score
Hello all
I am finishing up my LOC I-ROC kit
It’s a 5.5 diameter body and my question is
Loc recommends drilling two holes in the aft end of the nose cone which I am familiar with and feeding the shock cord through.

Wondering how most will attach the shock
Cord and parachute using the above way

If you wouldn’t mind posting some pictures for examples

I am looking to confirm the method I always have used or maybe see new ways

Thanks all

Last edited:
2 holes, on the outer edge of the base of the nosecone. Cord passed through both. Then attach loop to cord via quick link that also connects thd parachute. Fkame blanket on the cord as well.20220323_154306_1.jpg

Thanks for the info seems pretty much what I do

I have been putting the flame blanket more towards the top of the body tube opposite
Side of the shock cord you have yours on
Not sure if there are pros or cons to that

2 holes, on the outer edge of the base of the nosecone. Cord passed through both. Then attach loop to cord via quick link that also connects thd parachute. Fkame blanket on the cord as well.View attachment 510727

Wondering Do most prefer attaching there chutes up at the nose cone quick link section or do more like to tie A knot about 12 inches below nose cone on the shock cord and attach there ?

I've done both. I find it easier to attach at the nose with the loop there. Also it means that if the nose pops, the parachute should also come out.

That Makes good sense.
Thanks

I've done both. I find it easier to attach at the nose with the loop there. Also it means that if the nose pops, the parachute should also come out.

I don't use the 2 hole method, I just tie the shock cord to the nosecone via the molded in attachment point. I then Tie a loop 12 or so inches down from the nose and attach everything to that. This way there is no stress on the plastic nosecone at all, its just dangling there.

The concern general is how usually the plastic molded loop on most nose cones are thin and weak….but I can see how your method will take the stress off the nose cone …
Interesting…

I don't use the 2 hole method, I just tie the shock cord to the nosecone via the molded in attachment point. I then Tie a loop 12 or so inches down from the nose and attach everything to that. This way there is no stress on the plastic nosecone at all, its just dangling there.

I like to cut the end of NC off and install a bulkhead into NC. I will also add a RNWS so that I may adjust nose weight per motor selection. Depending on shock cord length, about 3' down I will sew a third loop into it for chute attachment.

While I understand the practice, I have never put weight in any nosecone of any rocket that I have ever built but 1, and that was only for an attachment point of all thread and to make the rocket heavier (yes, on purpose). Not an altitude junkie. I build BFR's and keep them below 5000'.

Back