LOC Mega Magg build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it works great! They do make them as I've used them on 8" builds. If need be they can also be linked together to make one big one.

Sweet syringe!
Thanks! Unfortunately it didn't work as well as I hoped. Concept was good but Rocketpoxy is thick and my tubing was too small. Even trying to heat it up didn't help much. I was able to use it enough to get the mid and forward centering ring glued in the right place. Going to let that set and then use a stick and brush to do the internal fillets on the fins.

Great idea and perfect timing. Now I just need to get a hose clamp for a 7.5" tube.
The fin can is complete. Motor adapter built.
View attachment 411249 View attachment 411250
Made a tool to help with the internal joints and fillets.
View attachment 411251
Was able to slide the fin can in place. Lines up just great. Tomorrow I'll glue everything in place.
View attachment 411252
I can see where the hose clamp will come in handy. A lot of gaps there.

There was a guy who did a build thread for a LOC VII. In one of his photos, it shows many many hand "spring clamps". They looked like big clothes pins. He circled them around the body tube. I hope this helps.
Andrew

There was a guy who did a build thread for a LOC VII. In one of his photos, it shows many many hand "spring clamps". They looked like big clothes pins. He circled them around the body tube. I hope this helps.
Andrew
Cool. I've got a bunch in the garage. I'll give that a shot first. Thanks.
edit: Well I thought I did. At least those will be easier to find right now if I can't find hose clamps.

Last edited:
Thanks! Unfortunately it didn't work as well as I hoped. Concept was good but Rocketpoxy is thick and my tubing was too small. Even trying to heat it up didn't help much. I was able to use it enough to get the mid and forward centering ring glued in the right place. Going to let that set and then use a stick and brush to do the internal fillets on the fins.
Oh, yeah, no, RocketPoxy cannot be injected.

Sometimes you just need a brush on a clothes hanger tube. Fin can completely installed. Rear centering ring glued in place. Just need to do the external fillets and then I can move to the nosecone.
IMG-7962.jpg IMG-7963.jpg

Hose clamp is certainly handy! Also if you're going to put epoxy down the T-nut holes for internal, coat the retention screw in a thick grease and thread in after epoxy is injected. Epoxy and grease don't get along and it will help keep any glue off/out of the T-nut threads. Works the same for those that like the expanding foam although it does block he escape route for that purpose.

I threw a ebay kit on mine, with a payload tube....not so small anymore but loves the J1299

Starting to work on the nosecone. I bought a 3” payload bay from LOC that will fit in the removable weight system.
nosecone.jpg
I have been thinking about how I was going to vent the altimeter in the bay. Drilling holes adjacent to the bay would be too high and I'm afraid the turbulence wouldn't provide good results. I debated drilling holes in the bulkhead just below the ebay and putting in air vents in the main body tube. This could potentially lead to ejection gasses reaching the electronics. Then someone suggested running ducts through the bulkhead and placing the vent holes in the body tube. Sounded like something fun to try.
I cut a bt-50 tube in half and cut half circles in the bulkhead.
IMG-8108.jpg
Here is everything (minus being epoxied in place).
IMG-8110.jpg
I'll be able to place vent holes through the shoulder and body tube. This will end up being about 3" from the top of the body tube. Should be a better location. I'll vent the electronics bay as normal into the cavity in the nosecone.
I still need to mount ejection caps and run a switch to arm the electronics. I'll work out that design prior to breaking out the epoxy.
(btw, the forum updates make posting this so much easier!)

Nose Cone Complete.
I installed the bulkhead and center tube in the nosecone. (Bulkhead in center tube installed for perfect spacing of the weight and ebay.) Air vents are drilled in the tube with a mark to help align the electronics bay.
49E08063-4C5F-4D4C-985B-F8F3675B9B2A.jpeg
Below are the weight cartridge (top) and the electronics bay(bottom). The cord is to help pull the weight cartridge out.
2D9FB8E9-3C3F-41B8-B7AF-2B9271F998EA.jpeg
Here is the weight I am using. It’s a 1 pound weight I made for another rocket wrapped in a pool noodle and a drink koozie to give it the prefect fit in the tube.
5D79214D-21A0-473A-ABA2-594D27063188.jpeg
First the weight cartridge will go into the top of the nosecone followed by the electrics bay. Since it’s still recessed a little a made a small collar that fits on top 358747D1-038C-4B2B-BF49-07252D4DE963.jpeg
C9EB5AD1-3509-43F8-A6C5-AC6701A3B283.jpeg
image.jpg
I still need to install the electronics. I’ll run wires out the ebay and mount charge tubes on the top plate. Also I’ll run wires to a switch that can be accessed through the main body tube.

Any updates?
Woah. I was negligent here, wasn't I? Being in quarantine and having the launches cancelled caused me to lose motivation to build. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when our club surprisingly announced a launch. I finished the build, really all I had left was the electronics bay. I didn't have time for a proper paint job so I flew it naked. I wanted to test my altimeter placement so i used motor ejection for the first flight. Flew it on a CTI J293 to about 1300ft. It's heavy! Around 12 pounds.
Here are some pics of the final build and the launch.
7B6C7A3A-F87F-4FA1-982C-7A458327FC1D.jpeg
5d800030-51bc-499e-949d-f9d37707a0f7-jpeg.425433

1E01D271-7A6C-492D-A6AD-3A955F59F4C3.jpeg
i have the paint, stickers and lettering arriving this week. Will probably start priming and filling tomorrow. I’ll post pics of the final product. No spoilers but it’s gonna be super!

Attachments

• 9240816D-C517-460D-A010-635A26E31F21.jpeg
    9240816D-C517-460D-A010-635A26E31F21.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 5D800030-51BC-499E-949D-F9D37707A0F7.jpeg
    5D800030-51BC-499E-949D-F9D37707A0F7.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 372
Nice! Looking good! I have a warlock coming so checking out all the short 7.6” builds :)

did you add bp for the motor eject? What was your delay?

Woah. I was negligent here, wasn't I? Being in quarantine and having the launches cancelled caused me to lose motivation to build. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when our club surprisingly announced a launch. I finished the build, really all I had left was the electronics bay. I didn't have time for a proper paint job so I flew it naked. I wanted to test my altimeter placement so i used motor ejection for the first flight. Flew it on a CTI J293 to about 1300ft. It's heavy! Around 12 pounds.
Here are some pics of the final build and the launch.
View attachment 425431
5d800030-51bc-499e-949d-f9d37707a0f7-jpeg.425433

View attachment 425434
i have the paint, stickers and lettering arriving this week. Will probably start priming and filling tomorrow. I’ll post pics of the final product. No spoilers but it’s gonna be super!

great job looks awesome

Hi Joe,

Looks like you had a perfect flight with a lower thrust J. How much weight did you end up putting in the nose?

Phil

How much weight did you end up putting in the nose?
I had right at a pound. I debated how much. Openrocket wanted me to add a ton get good stability numbers. I read some articles about short stubby rockets and added a massless come behind the rocket in openrocket which made it more reasonable.

Thanks,

I'm finishing mine up and will go with a pound. The total weight without paint is only at 8lbs. I built it inside out epoxying the inner and outer filet's on all the rings and fins.

Phil

Back