Lipo charger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonRocketry

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Okay I am new to this lipo battery stuff. I just bought a RTx/GPS Telematics "Navigator" System and they recommend using a Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus 750mAh 1S 70C Lipo Pack. So I found the battery on Amazon but my question is what for charger do I need for these. I looked at a couple different ones but they make my head hurt trying to figure out what will work...LOL

I have a couple of cheap chargers from Hobby King that have been working well for years. They also charge nicads, LIFE batteries, NIMH batteries, etc. The only thing is that you need a 12V power source to run them.

Although there are cheaper brands on the market, the unit I have is the SKYRC B6V2 AC balance charger. It can deal with 1-6 cell (1S-6S) LiPo, Li-Ion, LiFe and other packs. It can be used at home (120V AC) or in the field (12V DC).

It is one of the best rated chargers on the market. So much so that it is also one of the most cloned chargers out there. Which means one needs to be careful when selecting a vendor to purchase a B6V2.

I purchased mine from the Amazon seller Gobanana (Here). It is currently listed for $44.99 which is $5 less than what I paid in 2018. :mad:

Some of the features to look for in a charger:
1. Selectable battery chemistry - You want one than can charge the various Lithium types: Lipo, Lion, Life. Older battery types are usually supported too like NiCD, NiMH, or Lead Acid.
2. Adjustable charge parameters - You need to be able to dial in the charge rate based on the capacity of the cell. A common "gentle" way to charge your battery is a "1C" rate. If the battery capacity is 750mAh, then charge it at 0.8A (my charger rounds to the nearest tenth)
3. Selectable charge modes - Try to find a charger with a "Storage" mode charge. Leaving a Lithium battery fully charged or fully depleted for long periods of time can reduce its overall lifespan. A storage charge puts the battery at a particular state of charge (I've heard 50%) which helps prolong the batteries life and helps preserve its capability to produce rated capacity.
4. Balance charging - You will want a charger that has a balance charge capability. Battery packs made up of more than a single lithium cell will typically have a second lower gauge wire lead to connect to a charger. This lead provides direct access to each individual cell and allows the voltage levels to be monitored and the charge level adjusted to keep each of the individual cells at the same level. With lithium cells in general, over charging or over draining is damaging to the cells. Balance charging helps ensure that each individual cell in the pack gets charged to the same level. In your case, your pack is only a single cell (1S) so balance charging is not applicable. However, assuming you later acquire more battery packs, some of which are multi-cell, you'll need to balance charge.

I think most chargers these days include these features, except for some of the custom dedicated chargers that may come with a lipo equipped toy.

Hobby King is the only place to go. They have the best choices in batteries and chargers. I would not necessarily trust stuff on Amazon for this, there are too many knock-offs that are not up to standards. With LiPos, you have to make sure you have a quality charger because of the fire hazard. I'm confident that Hobby King won't carry the bad stuff.

Here is the charger I got from them. It's a good price, charges every battery type, can charge via an AC or DC source.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6...235&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
P.S. With LiPos, also do the following. 1) Buy a quality fire-proof case to store your batteries in. If a battery shorts, it goes up in flames - fast. 2) If you are not using the LiPos for an extended period of time, charge them to the storage voltage, then top them off before you use them. 3) Run them through the charger and top them off to the storage voltage at least every 6 months; I try to do it quarterly. They'll slowly lose charge over time and if the drop below a certain voltage, they're a-goner.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I think I got everything I need. So much easier with the old 9V battery...LOL

One problem with the cheaper chargers is the lack of charge current setting. If you are using some of the smaller LiPo batteries they may be charged at a very high or excessive rate. Make sure you know what your charging current is and should be.

One problem with the cheaper chargers is the lack of charge current setting. If you are using some of the smaller LiPo batteries they may be charged at a very high or excessive rate. Make sure you know what your charging current is and should be.
I am going with the charger Mike had listed. I had looked at this one before and after I read Mikes reply I decided to go with it.

I am going with the charger Mike had listed. I had looked at this one before and after I read Mikes reply I decided to go with it.
Great choice. I also see that HobbyKing is price matching the Amazon seller I got my genuine B6V2 from, which is cool. You will have zero issues with the B6V2. Enjoy!

Great choice. I also see that HobbyKing is price matching the Amazon seller I got my genuine B6V2 from, which is cool. You will have zero issues with the B6V2. Enjoy!
I looked at the one you listed from amazon but went with HobbyKing since that was where I was getting batteries from and a few other things. I like that it can be used ac or dc. A lot of them I looked at are one way or the other not both.

Hobby King is the only place to go. They have the best choices in batteries and chargers. I would not necessarily trust stuff on Amazon for this, there are too many knock-offs that are not up to standards. With LiPos, you have to make sure you have a quality charger because of the fire hazard. I'm confident that Hobby King won't carry the bad stuff.

Here is the charger I got from them. It's a good price, charges every battery type, can charge via an AC or DC source.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6...235&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
P.S. With LiPos, also do the following. 1) Buy a quality fire-proof case to store your batteries in. If a battery shorts, it goes up in flames - fast. 2) If you are not using the LiPos for an extended period of time, charge them to the storage voltage, then top them off before you use them. 3) Run them through the charger and top them off to the storage voltage at least every 6 months; I try to do it quarterly. They'll slowly lose charge over time and if the drop below a certain voltage, they're a-goner.

That's the one I bought. Love the AC/DC option. Learning curve is a little steep for us old folks, but it's a great charger!

Got my charger yesterday, thanks everyone for your help. This IMAX B6AC V2 Professional Balance Charger/Discharger is very nice and I think is very easy to use. Anyone looking for a nice charger, take a look at this one.

Back