LEXX JET

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is so you can use an E engine, the kit only comes with a retainer for D's, the design is quite heavy so it's good to have the option to go bigger. I can see using an E-9 or may be an E-12.

The Estes "E" motors are 3.75" Hopefully that was just a typo for Coyote.

Jerome

Jerome

I'd advise against the E9... those things don't have a high enough thrust "kick" to get a larger, heavier, draggier rocket like this off the pad...

Those are more "3FNC" type rocket motors... not heavyweights or draggy, complex designs (unless they are VERY light for their size!)

From the sound of it using an E12 is as likely to blow up on you as fly right...

Might consider a reload or single use AP (composite) motor...

Later! OL JR :)

Engine hook length quote was off the cuff. The actual custom-made engine hook indeed fits the Estes E motors. I need to locate my motor tool with drum sander bit to ream out the tail cone a bit more. Also paper-coating the balsa parts.

Last edited:
Well alrighty then..back to work. The diagram was pretty much what I had in mind except for the wood runners, I'm still not quite sure what purpose they will serve. The other problem I'm foreseeing is balance. There's clay for nose cone weight but if I glue in the nose cone and need to add more later it won't be possible. I can only pack it for flight, swing test and try to get a good balance before setting the cone.

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

OK...where to put 32" of chute, kevlar and shock cord..

IMG_1765.jpg

..In this small space..

IMG_1766.jpg

So I'm really not feeling confident about this..

IMG_1767.jpg

There's just not enough room for every thing, I think the rear eject is a no go.

Yep, I use jigs, and polkas and waltzes and even some modern interpretive dance, don’t ask. Nothing seems to help. Besides these kinds of rockets can’t be that sensitive or else nobody would be able to build them correctly and get them to fly straight.

See I’m not talking. . .typing about a little bit of spin, I’m typing about a walloping gob smack amount of spin. Spin so violent the rockets have gone unstable, like something you’d see from a Three Fin & a Nosecone rocket that lost a fin at liftoff.

Now my Estes “Interceptor” flies perfectly and it is a semi-non-symmetrical rocket so I must be doing something right, but rockets like that “LEXXX” just go Wile E Coyote on me. Actually a more descriptive cartoon character would be the “Tasmanian Devil”.

I design(copy) and fly all sorts of jet airplane type rockets and I balance them a little nose heavy with the motor in them. Do you do this? I have the Lexx jet and a down size I call Junior. They all fly great.

You're gonna have to get creative with how you pack your chute it all... folding it flatter...

Trying to roll it up like you would for a foward eject rocket probably isn't going to work, as you've shown...

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Put your shock cord on one side and the parachute on the other... fold it flat and lay the lines over/beside it with the shock cord on the opposite side (bottom with chute on top, or vice-versa...)

LEXX JET...no

Black Op's Stealth VIP Transport.

Well it's finally done, what a pain in the A,, design to paint. I was originally going for the advertised paint scheem, had it all painted white but didn't have the yellow so I went with blue and silver, well that didn't work out so I said the heck with it and went this rout, black, red and silver.

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

LEXX JET...no

Well it's finally done, what a pain in the A,, design to paint. I was originally going for the advertised paint scheem, had it all painted white but didn't have the yellow so I went with blue and silver, well that didn't work out so I said the heck with it and went this rout, black, red and silver.

Oh good gosh that is cool! I am stealing the paint scheme.

LEXX JET...no

Outstanding!
And don't let Shrox steal your paint scheme!

Oh yah baby ,that turned out great......very nice paint scheme !!

Beauty job !

Paul T

Finally got to launch this thing, actually three times, all different engines. The first was on a D-12-3, good launch but deffinatly under powered.

LJ2 (9-29-2013 3-29 PM).jpg LJ3 (9-29-2013 3-30 PM).jpg

The second launch was on an E-9-4, the perfect engine for this bird...

LJ4 (9-29-2013 3-33 PM).jpg LJ5 (9-29-2013 3-39 PM).jpg

Continued next post...

Last edited:
Third and final launch was on an E-12-4...just before apogee it got quite squirrely and the ejection was too slow, I thought for a second I was going to see complete distruction. Now all the launches that day were with very windy conditions, sustained winds were running at 15 to 20 mph, the last launch also had the key chain camera on board. It ran out of juice before launch. I had it on several other launches that day and since the wind was blowing so hard we had to chase them so far most of the footage was of the rocket being dragged across the field.

All in all a great flyer, even with the maiden flight being in HIGH wind conditions. I must say IMHO, the E-9-4 is the best engine for this bird, the D-12 is just too under powered, but a good engine for the first flight.

A nice design Shrox!

lj6 (9-29-2013 3-51 PM).jpg

LJ7 (9-29-2013 3-52 PM).jpg

LJ8 (9-29-2013 3-53 PM).jpg

Last edited:
That was the original plan, but there just wasn't enough room for the 2' chute and all the mylar, I also plit the mylar and spliced in a 1/4 wide piece of elastic cord. After three landings there was no damage, no broken tail fin.

LEXX JET...no

Really outstanding looking rocket with that paint scheme.Nice job!

Has everyone that has built the Lexxjet used the dihedral in the wing and horizontal stabilizer? I have just received my kit and it looks like the two would be stronger if this was not done. You could glue the butt joint and put a paper skin on both sides. The motivation for this kit I think is the Lear Jet. Most models do not have any dihedral in either.

Back