Leviathan Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidtmp

Reaction score
Some pics of my current build. Straightforward build. Haven't really used the instructions too much after the motor mount. Will be adding buttons at some point this weekend. Pics taken with phone, hopefully they turn out ok.

image-1007839587.jpg

image-931792266.jpg

image-2934126625.jpg

Looking good! what is the plan for the paint scheme? are you going original or custom?

Looking good! what is the plan for the paint scheme? are you going original or custom?
Custom......going to have to see if I can work it out though. Planning on using the Colorshift blue/purple from Rustoleum on the Nose and down around the fins. The tricky part will be to make a stencil(maybe frisket film) of the word Leviathan and paint it with the colorshift as well.

A few more pics. Coupler installed with Kevlar to eyebolt. Planning on using supplied elastic as well. Can change it out later. Drilled holes for buttons and glued t-nuts into balsa, glued this inside tube held in place by button screws. Really just playing around with some stuff for later HPR builds.

image-3644612125.jpg

image-2958040565.jpg

image-1510475863.jpg

Your build is coming along nicesly. My wife took a 40-off coupon to Hobby Lobby and picked up the Leviathon for me, looks like it will be a pretty nice build.

Had an issue yesterday......learned a lesson though. Balsa is a little too soft to try to put in a T-nut to hold the rail buttons in. Guess I wasn't using the same screw I used when I glued them in to hold, and the one I used when testing didn't go in as well.....ended up breaking the balsa on the top button. Oh well, at least I didn't have the tubes glued together yet. I'll probably just drill the hole out and use a rubber expansion nut in there instead. Do have the back centering ring in and the motor retainer glued on....I'll post a couple more pics later.
Did get the Pro29 starter set from Ken @ Performance Hobbies on Sat......Can't wait for the corn to be picked!! :)

Looking good. I can't wait for Kip to cut corn.Minie Magg still sitting in primer.

Looking good. I can't wait for Kip to cut corn.Minie Magg still sitting in primer.
Well, it's a little farther along than last I heard, spirals were filled.
I have 4 that is ready for primer, need to work on the Deuce's Wild and clean that up a little, then prime that one. Then about 4 more that needs to head to primer after filling the fins and such. And that don't count the Leviathan that should be ready in a couple of weeks, and that's taking it slow. We'll see how many of those I get around to. :)

Ok, getting back to this build now that the kids baseball season is over. Not much to do, glued the upper tube on with Titebond II. Drilled holes in nose cone and looped a piece of Kevlar thru and tied off. Pretty much all that is left is sanding, filling, and primer. Supposed to be in upper 60's this weekend, hope to get around to it then.

image-3323528034.jpg

Some pics of my current build. Straightforward build. Haven't really used the instructions too much after the motor mount. Will be adding buttons at some point this weekend. Pics taken with phone, hopefully they turn out ok.

Just a suggestion, probably too late now, on the center picture. If you are going to use and eye-bolt, you may want to turn it 90º so it runs from the BT to the MMT. This will let you use a quick link if you want. The way you have it now, it will be almost impossible to get a quick link through between the eye-bolt and the BT. Don't ask how I know that.

Just a suggestion, probably too late now, on the center picture. If you are going to use and eye-bolt, you may want to turn it 90º so it runs from the BT to the MMT. This will let you use a quick link if you want. The way you have it now, it will be almost impossible to get a quick link through between the eye-bolt and the BT. Don't ask how I know that.
Oh no, not worried about that. I've got the kevlar line tied to it. I figured I wouldn't be getting my hand down in there anyway, so it wouldn't matter. But I do know what you mean. On bigger stuff I would be apt to do that. But thanks, I will keep that in mind for the future.

Update: I've applied 2 coats of 2x primer, 220 grit sand after first, 320 after 2nd. Then applied a coat of Killz and wet sanded with 600 grit. Still have some spirals showing, and where the tubes come together looks crappy, but oh well. Kinda worried about the buttons, I'll put it on a rail tomorrow for a test fit. Hope to put it up tomorrow. On the bright side, these may be the smoothest fins I have ever had. :)

image-3983156728.jpg

image-3893542930.jpg

I like your paint stand!

LOL-something I threw together. worked out well. 3/4 pvc fits a 29mm mount really well. Made a centering ring to go in the front to hold the tube off the pipe.

So, took the Leviathan out for it's first flight today. Turns out I didn't need to be so worried about the rail guides. Flew it on a CTI F29 Imax.....not too high, used about a 7 sec delay. Could have been better with 6, but oh well. Didn't get a pic....we'll see if anyone took one and put it on the ROCC site later.

So, took the Leviathan out for it's first flight today. Turns out I didn't need to be so worried about the rail guides. Flew it on a CTI F29 Imax.....not too high, used about a 7 sec delay. Could have been better with 6, but oh well. Didn't get a pic....we'll see if anyone took one and put it on the ROCC site later.

Nice build! I am currently working on a Leviathan as well but the weather hasn't been the best here for me to finish the paint job on it.

You know what kind of altitude you got on that motor?

Rocksim is showing about 550ft......I'd say it was about right. I wasn't looking for too much altitude, wind picked up a little. Was just hoping everything worked and it came off the rail. I bought a G54 Red Longburn as well that should send it up to about 2K. I'll either have to have a no wind day or fly it down in Orangeburg where I have some more room. :) I also have a few aerotech G64's to stick in it.

I'm calling this build done. The paint wasn't as good as I had hoped, not sure what happened, could have probably waited a little longer maybe. Just didn't seem to stick on the fin area after the 3rd coat. Just looks dull. Tried to sand and repaint, but still the same. Painted white with Colorshift purple nose and fin area. Here is a pic on a G57 CTI.
8439579974_ffa74510f9.jpg

Back