Level 3 certification flight and subsonic speeds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon Mayberry

Reaction score
I am working on my Tripoli level 3 certification and I was wondering if it is possible to achieve the certification without having to go supersonic. I know the rules don't say anything regarding super vs sub-sonic speeds, but any design I make ends up with a max velocity of around Mach 1.65.

I am working on my Tripoli level 3 certification and I was wondering if it is possible to achieve the certification without having to go supersonic. I know the rules don't say anything regarding super vs sub-sonic speeds, but any design I make ends up with a max velocity of around Mach 1.65.
How about some details of your rocket and intended motor? 4" airframe, 3" hole?

What concern/problem are you solving for by not going supersonic?

What practical flight experiences have you had to date?

Welcome to the jungle...

My L3 flight was subsonic at Mach .86 max velocity. 6” Wildman Ultimate on an M1790. I didn’t purposefully configure the flight to stay subsonic, though. As rfjustin asked, why is it that that you specifically want to stay below Mach 1?

Design something with a larger diameter.

OOC, What was your L2 rocket? :)

supersonic, subsonic, just a dot on the speed chart. Means nothing more as long as you punch transonic quickly.
Don't freak out over it.
one of my LDRS goals is to punch thru 1,800 mph with a unmodified big nuke 3E in the drag race. After all, second place is just first looser.

My L3 flight was subsonic at Mach .86 max velocity. 6” Wildman Ultimate on an M1790. I didn’t purposefully configure the flight to stay subsonic, though. As rfjustin asked, why is it that that you specifically want to stay below Mach 1?
“Because it’s a wall man! You won’t survive!” You can’t break the sound barrier! It’s called a barrier for a reason!😋

The only L3 I've witnessed in many years was also subsonic, probably much slower than yours. I think that rocket was at least 8" diameter.

Not trying hard enough? Or big enough?

My 5" fiberglass l3 that I'm getting together gets close but is still under mach per sims, so will be under in reality

supersonic, subsonic, just a dot on the speed chart. Means nothing more as long as you punch transonic quickly.
Don't freak out over it.
one of my LDRS goals is to punch thru 1,800 mph with a unmodified big nuke 3E in the drag race. After all, second place is just first looser.
Or loser. But hey who is counting

we'll see about the loss, I don't think so. It's a hot motor. I have ways of getting it going fast.....

I'm going to use the AeroTech M650 for mine with 5.5" LOC IRIS.
This will be M.70.
I recommend that you discuss with your TAP/L3CC how that motor gravity turns early…it’s a long, heavy motor with not a lot of thrust by the time you’re off the rail. Just my experience with flying that motor. It’s kind of a sustainer motor for 2nd stages. Last time I flew that motor by itself in an all CF rocket it recovered 4 miles downrange…YMMV.

I don't think I've ever seen a L3 project go super sonic, and I've probably seen +100 flights over the years. There may have been one or two at an LDRS at URRG. The reason is I'm on the east coast. Most flights say under 8,000 ft. and you can't really exceed Mach and stay under that with a L3 motor.

On the east coast, it's hard to go supersonic and keep it under the short waivers.
Out west it's a different story.
I've seen plenty of supersonic L3's including my own.

Frankly think supersonic and successful dual-deploy should be the required flight profile for an L3, but that's me.

I think Rschub is right about this not being real. One post at 8:15 a.m. last Wednesday and signed off immediately, never even logged back on to see if anyone replied. The question they posted seems coherent by itself, but it is odd that someone preparing for a L3 cert would ask that.

Back