Let the Glue Battle Begin…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, it’s not really a battle. Glue-All and Aleene’s Tacky Glue for stuff that needs more working time to fiddle with and get into the correct position. Titebond II, Gorilla Wood Glue, or other “fast tack” wood glue for fins and other parts where you just want it to “grab” and stay in position so you don’t have to hold it in place while the glue sets.

3A2D187E-B6E2-4341-BFBB-73D0FB90FB73.jpeg

:questions: Gorilla Wood Glue is by no means a "fast tack" glue. I guess "fast" is relative though... as in "fast - compared to what?" :questions:

Titebond does make a "thickest, fastest-drying" glue though, but I have no experience with it. TITEBOND NO-RUN, NO-DRIP WOOD GLUE

I've never tried it since I want the initial gluing of two parts to proceed using a glue that isn't thick. I want it to be runny, so it seeps into cracks and crevices, instead of bridging.

Launch Lug Glue Fillet Wood Fibers.JPGLaunch Lug Glue Fillet 002.JPG001 Final Gorilla Glue Fillet.JPG002 Titebond Quick and Thick Wet.JPG003 Titebond Quick and Thick Dry.JPG005 After Primer and Paint.jpg

Last edited:
Fast compared to Glue-All and other, ordinary "white" glues.

Sure, Gorilla Wood Glue will "grab" when gluing items like couplings in a body tube, but in all the times I've used it for fins, as you initially stated, the word "grab" has never entered my mind.

... for fins and other parts where you just want it to “grab” and stay in position so you don’t have to hold it in place while the glue sets.

If you're after "grab" go with thick CA or Epoxy.

Sure, Gorilla Wood Glue will "grab" when gluing items like couplings in a body tube, but in all the times I've used it for fins, as you initially stated, the word "grab" has never entered my mind.

If you're after "grab" go with thick CA or Epoxy.
Yes, I use the word "grab" loosely. Let me rephrase...

"Ok, it’s not really a battle. Glue-All and Aleene’s Tacky Glue for stuff that needs more working time to fiddle with and get into the correct position. Titebond II, Gorilla Wood Glue, or other common wood glues for fins and other parts where you want it to set a little faster than ordinary white glue. This is so you don’t have to hold the part in place for a long time while the glue sets. I find that TBII, TBI, Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue, Gorilla Wood Glue, and other commonly available "wood" glues tend to "seize up" when I am trying to push a motor mount or tube coupler into place."

How's that?

;-)

BTW, you still need to come down the mountain and launch with us old BAR geezers on the "front range" of Colorado. You are a superb modeler. I have seen the pics. I want to see those cool model rockets in person! :)

I often find myself using multiple types of glue on a single rocket, if it is a small Estes type I'll use wood-glue for the fins and fillets and 5 minute epoxy for building and installing the motor mount.
That is my current situation. Gotta' use Glue-All or similar for the motor mount and any tube couplers, and TBII or similar for everything else.

Why not for normal bonding chores? Not strong enough? Bonds so fast that you can't fiddle at all with the position of the part?
1) Extremely thick consistency won't soak into a joint like more liquidy glues. That is why I typically apply a thin fillet of TBII first, and then finish with Q&T.
2) Sticky mess. Seriously, don't try it.

BTW, you still need to come down the mountain and launch with us old BAR geezers on the "front range" of Colorado. You are a superb modeler. I have seen the pics. I want to see those cool model rockets in person! :)

While I certainly appreciate your gracious offer, I spent 11 years of my life dealing with the traffic in and around Denver and it's suburbs. Each year the traffic got worse, and the attitude of the drivers degraded.

Now, the only time we venture that way is for goods and services, of a medical nature, unavailable up here in the mountains.

To coin a phrase: "Wild horses, couldn't drag me away".

While I certainly appreciate your gracious offer, I spent 11 years of my life dealing with the traffic in and around Denver and it's suburbs. Each year the traffic got worse, and the attitude of the drivers degraded.

Now, the only time we venture that way is for goods and services, of a medical nature, unavailable up here in the mountains.

To coin a phrase: "Wild horses, couldn't drag me away".
Ok, we will come to you. Gotta’ see those cool rockets up close and personal…

No, that would be GM. GM is the master of taking one car, of one make, and "badge engineering" it into, well, the same car, with a different make's "badge" on the trunk lid and on the front grille.

I certainly can't argue against that. But what made me the sickest was their re-badging of a rice burner as a Nova. I've been a Nova Nut since I was old enough to walk. And that was a criminal act in my humble opinion.

Rare Rides: The 1987 Chevrolet Nova Hatchback, the All-American Corolla

1970 Nova Wash.jpg1979 - 1977 Nova.jpg1977 Nova.jpgimg366.jpg1972 Nova_Page_1.JPG1972 Nova 2.jpg

I certainly can't argue against that. But what made me the sickest was their re-badging of a rice burner as a Nova. I've been a Nova Nut since I was old enough to walk. And that was a criminal act in my humble opinion.
Also:
Chevy Cavalier rebadged as a Cadillac Cimarron.
Pontiac LeMans name on a Daewoo.
Dodge Challenger on a Mitsubishi Galant.
EDIT: And how about the new electric Mustang SUV?

Also:
Electric Mustang SUV? Go ahead and sell it, Ford, but don’t call it a Mustang.

Of course, the same complaint could be made about Ford putting a 289 V8 in a Falcon, making the body cooler looking, and calling it a “Mustang”.

Also:

Yeah, I don't understand badging an electric 4 door SUV as a Mustang...

I've seen this electric Ford Performance Mustang run at the dragstrip. It puts up impressive elapsed times... but it's boring as hell. Tires squalling, with no V-8 motor sounds... is... well.. more like a car accident happening than a drag race. But then again, I'm old and set in my ways.

1629495520789.png

Yeah, I don't understand badging an electric 4 door SUV as a Mustang...

I've seen this electric Ford Performance Mustang run at the dragstrip. It puts up impressive elapsed times... but it's boring as hell. Tires squalling, with no V-8 motor sounds... is... well.. more like a car accident happening than a drag race. But then again, I'm old and set in my ways.

View attachment 478394

Of course, the next generation of this electric Mustang will be self-driving and autonomous, I suppose. Sort of defeats the purpose of a "sports car".

OK, we had better move this discussion to the "Water Cooler" forum.

This is what I have been using for my RC builds and some rocket builds. It is aliphatic glue like Titebond original, sets a little faster and dries clear.

Attachments

• Speed_Set_8oz_1000x1000_72dpi.jpg
    Speed_Set_8oz_1000x1000_72dpi.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 14
Back