Lesson you have learned the hard way

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
You have all read my story of superglue, my wife, my level 3 rocket, and the floor. Please share a lesson you have learned the hard way.

Use this thread as a learning lesson, and do not repeat them.

Last edited:
Dont research a medical problem you are experiencing on the internet. If you were not a hypochondriac before, you will be come one real fast.

Trying to get the last tank of gas out of the lawnmower before winter, DONT. Swallowing gas is nasty. Now I just leave it. Have not had a problem. Have not had the taste of gasoline in my mouth since.

If a motor seems or has a reputation for being sketchy, don't use it on a rocket that you would miss dearly.

Screenshot_20230210_161236_Chrome.jpg
468181-9b4e8485c5af629a0540a711b051e12d.data

Last edited:
Be sure the tracker is securely attached to the rocket, and won't separate.

I've learned this 4 or 5 times.

I learned this back in 1976:

You can't pack a cardboard tube with D booster motors, stacked one on top of the next, and expect during staging that the cardboard body tube will burn through and fall away at stage separation.​
- BUT -​
You can expect the above to produce an awesome experience for those attending the launch due to "RTV": Random Thrust Vectoring.​

Last edited:
Perfect certification flights require all parts of the rocket be attached even after landing. Even if it falls off after picking it up... Luckily there were vendors ready to sell me another motor for my second and successful attempt...

Perfect certification flights require all parts of the rocket be attached even after landing. Even if it falls off after picking it up... Luckily there were vendors ready to sell me another motor for my second and successful attempt...

Always bring superglue on the trip to recover your bird.

If a motor seems or has a reputation for being sketchy, don't use it on a rocket that you would miss dearly.

View attachment 562534
468181-9b4e8485c5af629a0540a711b051e12d.data

I neglected to double check the o-ring size! And then still put it on the wrong end, duh!
1676070660941.png
It was my favorite PML bull puppy. I was soo pissed I threw the rocket away. But whats worse is - look at the serial number.

Back