LDRS 32 - Black Rock, NV - Who's Coming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That low RH will suck the water right out of you, though, which will make Tony and I stick needles into you if you're not careful. My rule of thumb is a bottle of water an hour, even if I don't think I need to.

A hint: If you're not needing to go to the bathroom, you're not drinking enough. When you do, if it's dark, you're not drinking enough.

-Kevin

A hint: If you're not needing to go to the bathroom, you're not drinking enough. When you do, if it's dark, you're not drinking enough.

-Kevin

"Mine for diamonds, not gold." <-with regards to color of urine. They taught us that my first time at Philmont Scout Ranch.

At XPRS I slept under the stars between two cars; a foam camping mattress beneath, and an unzipped sleeping bag on top of me. Best sleep I've had lately (what with school).

EDIT: Also, the stars are downright spectacular. Normally I take off contacts/glasses when sleeping, but it was far, far too awesome so I left my glasses on.

Manny, Tips..plan for the worse. (110+ degrees 40+ MPH winds) and you'll be good.

check out the last minute of this video from Balls 2011.

[video=youtube;d-rLgPCc0rU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rLgPCc0rU[/video]

Tony

What I'm taking from this is that either way I will have an interesting experience.

Prepare for the worst, got it.

Tony, that's a cool video, I like the view from the mountains. I'm going to bring my four wheel motorcycle so that will aid me in the search.

If you are going out on your quad into the desert be sure to have a GPS, a map and know how to use it. When it gets dusty the launch site can be very hard to find, the visibility will drop below 100’ and you can drive by and not know it.

From https://www.ahpra.org/drive.htm
"When you go to chase your rocket tell someone responsible the direction you are going. If you do not come back in a reasonable time we will send someone to look for you. Although it may be members of AHPRA that come looking for you, do not tell the RSO/LCO where you are going as they are too busy and will forget until the buzzards can be seen."

Our BLM Rangers are good guys and can point you to interesting places to see and where not to go (Never be the first one to jump in the hot spring).
The BLM wants people to stay on the existing dirt roads and not cut trails.

Mark

Last edited:
If I can figure out how to meet my work obligations, I'll be making the trip to LDRS this year. I have a couple of two-stage flights planned with potential altitudes of 120K and 75K, and I've been waiting to try them for quite a while now (go fever has definitely set in). I have clearances for takeoff from the launch organizers as well as the Tripoli Class 3 committee.

Assuming I can get to the launch, one challenge is going to be how to recycle the common equipment from the first flight into the second. I have a plan developed for this, but the types of things I need to do are things I would normally do prior to the launch and not at the launch. There should be enough time to get it done though.

Jim

Ok my LDRS 2013 rocket project is finished painted! Here are the quick stats:
4" Diameter, 110" long (9.16ft) , 20lbs dry (no motor case), All Aluminum Rocket, bolt up fin can, Motor Cesaroni N5800, altitude 40,000ft @ Mach 2.5 (1900 miles per hour), 2 altimeters, 1 gps, radio frequency tracker, 2 on board video cameras (one being go pro hero 3), CO2 and Black Powder for drogue charges, AARD for main (dual deployment, single compartment). Name of rocket after my girlfriend Kari as she is "one tough pill to swallow" :). Also in case you don’t see the face that’s on the side of the rocket…. ;) Wish me luck on the flight!

pill main.jpg

We are putting you to work with range duty for the whole launch. You have no time to be launching rockets

M

Ok my LDRS 2013 rocket project is finished painted! Here are the quick stats:
4" Diameter, 110" long (9.16ft) , 20lbs dry (no motor case), All Aluminum Rocket, bolt up fin can, Motor Cesaroni N5800, altitude 40,000ft @ Mach 2.5 (1900 miles per hour), 2 altimeters, 1 gps, radio frequency tracker, 2 on board video cameras (one being go pro hero 3), CO2 and Black Powder for drogue charges, AARD for main (dual deployment, single compartment). Name of rocket after my girlfriend Kari as she is "one tough pill to swallow" :). Also in case you don&#8217;t see the face that&#8217;s on the side of the rocket&#8230;. ;) Wish me luck on the flight!

View attachment 136377

Woah. Please tell me you aren't gonna launch that until at least Friday afternoon. That looks awesome.

Just decided this past weekend, my dad (JimmyF) and I will be there Friday to Sunday. I have started 4 builds to fly there. No time for build threads but I will post a picture once they are finished. See you guys out there.

A reminder for anyone who intends to go to LDRS 32, but hasn't registered online yet: July 12 is the cut-off date. After that, you will have to register on-site, and not enjoy the pre-registration discounts. Check out the LDRS 32 website, registration page for details.

https://www.ldrs32.com/

M

I was about to register, but the site is down. Looks like the domain name has become unregistered or something?

The site seem to be down for me too. I hope they either extend the pre-registration deadline or get the site up quick!
I'm getting excited. I've only got enough money for one flight, but whatever! It'll still be plenty fun to be there.

Alex

Last edited:
Troj,
I forgot that I forgot to pay my tripoli dues until today. Can I pay them on site or should I go ahead and do it now? Doubt I will have my new card in time, what can I do about that?

Thanks

Troj,
I forgot that I forgot to pay my tripoli dues until today. Can I pay them on site or should I go ahead and do it now? Doubt I will have my new card in time, what can I do about that?

Thanks
Renew via PayPal and print out your receipt..Should be good enough proof you are a 'member in good standing'..:wink:

Will do. I wasn't aware paypal was an option. My renewal sheet has mail check and fax CC. I am afraid of entering one wrong number and faxing my CC info to Ted the identity thief aka the new Chris Franco

Will do. I wasn't aware paypal was an option. My renewal sheet has mail check and fax CC. I am afraid of entering one wrong number and faxing my CC info to Ted the identity thief aka the new Chris Franco

You can do it via PayPal (go to the website, Membership->Join TRA/Renew Membership, click on the "renew via PayPal" link). As Jon said, you can bring your printed receipt with you. If you send Deb an email, she can bring your card to LDRS, as well.

Or, just do it at the field.

-Kevin

what's up with the ldrs32.com web site? it looks like the domain has expired and taken over by someone else?

sorry. I missed the posts above about the site being done.

Last edited:
what's up with the ldrs32.com web site? it looks like the domain has expired and taken over by someone else?

sorry. I missed the posts above about the site being done.

Seems to be back up now. Registering!

Back