• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

LDRS 32 - Black Rock, NV - Who's Coming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the "Who's Coming" list on the site only the fliers? I registered myself and 4 spectators and only I am on the list.

They misspelled my first name... either that or they haven't put my name up and there is someone else with an awfully similar name.

They misspelled my first name... either that or they haven't put my name up and there is someone else with an awfully similar name.

Oh come on, Karl. It can't be that bad......

-Alex

There is a contact on the LDRS website, telling them would be a lot more effecive than posting here.
And don't send it to me, I have nothing to do with the website, registration or badges.

Just registered as a spectator last night. A question for those of you who have been to Black Rock before: How to you navigate to the launch site from the road? It looks like you are driving across open lake bed, and 6+ miles is easily long enough to get lost.

Just registered as a spectator last night. A question for those of you who have been to Black Rock before: How to you navigate to the launch site from the road? It looks like you are driving across open lake bed, and 6+ miles is easily long enough to get lost.

Directions to the site can be found here. One thing that folks who go to Black Rock very much recommend is setting a waypoint on your GPS of the point at which you enter the Playa. That way, you have something to help you get back to it, as landmarks are nonexistent.

-Kevin

The launch site cannot be seen from the edge of the playa, it may be seen from the paved road as it goes over the hill just before the 11 mile entrance

The best ways to find the launch site are,
Use GPS to go to the location on the website, 40º 49' 54.70" N 119º 07' 40.19" W
Go to Bruno’s and ask if anyone is going out and KNOWS (not thinks) how to get there.
Go to the 11 mile entrance and follow someone who KNOWS (not thinks) where they are going.

On a direct line to the launch site you will go across other roads, there are deep ruts you do not want to drive over fast. The playa surface looks hard and smooth but there are soft spots. If you are going fast and try to turn it can be bad.

There are a bunch of guys that have driven a lot on Black Rock and drive REALLY fast. They know where not to drive and what not to do. If it is your first time there just cruise at a reasonable speed and get to the launch site safe.

We went there for years without GPS.

It is good to have especially if visibility is reduced due to dust or darkness. For a major launch like LDRS there will be a lot of people driving in and picking up with someone to follow to the range should be easy.

If you are off chasing rockets or sightseeing it will be a lot of help to find your way back.

The way Black Rock is the launch site is approached from the south side and most of the rockets end up to the north. If you are out 8 miles north chasing your rocket that deployed main at apogee at 40,000 feet you cannot see the launch site, your phone and radios will not work and the GPS is your friend.

I just use the Garmin Nuvi I have and put it in off-road mode, it will point the way to a cold one.

Mark

Last edited:
Black rock is very easy to navigate in the daylight there are several prominent landmarks to follow and work your way around. If you apply common sense your pretty safe.
Enter on 12 mile cross some deep vehicle tracks turn north up the west side road follow till you head between the tire/pole markers then start heading north east when you hit the launch site trail or simple point out to the Black Rock Mountain and lean eastward There are some mountains to the east that are almost on the playa thats elephant back between those and the "mound" on the west side is the site.
YES Black Rock can kill you but I think everyone is being a little over cautious and the warnings are inflated. Drive a car in the soft sand and your stuck try to walk back to camp in 95 F at 1400 without being in very good shape and having enough water your in deep trouble. Don't tell anyone where your headed and when to expect your return or tell some irresponsible person the info and you could find yourself without a back up plan. Losing sight of the camp when cruising recovering NOT so much of a problem. Walking out to recover a rocket which you think is plenty close could be even more dangerous as you tend not to realize how far things are. A few people have gotten rides home from their pedestrian close recovery attempts.
If ANYONE recovery assistance or S&R please come and find me. I'll be driving the yellow Hummer and hanging out at What's Up Hobbies with Jack.
Mike

Mike I've heard great things about you through Jack G and James and your knowledge of blackrock lake bed sounds superb. If I may i already want to call dibs on your help for me when I go and recover my rocket, I'm expecting 40k with 2-8mile recovery area. The rocket will take 15min to come down (should all the parachutes events happen when they are suppose to). It will have GPS and I've got a handheld, I just need help with the navigation of getting to my final destination.

At LDRS 14 I was headed back to town at 10PM, going flat out-117 into the darkness, and saw a dim light way off to the west flashing. I slowed down, turned and headed for it, nearly 5 miles. It was a flyer headed to the launch and got stuck in a wet place. He had walked miles trying to get to where the main track is headed to town to flag down a ride, he had given up and tried to go back to his truck and could not find it in the dark. No water, dehydrated, he was going to be jerky by morning. I gave him a ride to the bar. I see him at every LDRS and BALLS, I still give him crap about it but he is alive to receive the abuse.

Fast forward to BALLS in 2011. The same guy is driving across the playa headed for town just after sunset, he sees a man walking, turns to check. The guy had no water and thought it would be possible to walk to the paved road; he was at the end of his rope and would be having breakfast with the buzzards. He gave him water and a ride.

If you have a problem usually the best thing is to stay with the vehicle, it is shelter and easier to find than a lone person on the playa.

M

Last edited:
If you have a problem usually the best thing is to stay with the vehicle said:
For the mere mortals this is absolutely TRUE. You have to be something special to be able to hump it off the playa carrying enough water and sunscreen for the journey.
NEVER drive towards the lights of Gerlach at night and unless your very sure of navigation and time/speed calcs or have GPS leave the sight of the camp at night. If heading for a late night dip at frog pond have someone leave a light on for yeah.
There isn't much for mud around this year which is good. I went to the Quinn River this year and crossed several major creeks that were dry that's not always possible in June. I did a recovery on a truck at one launch and got stuck myself there were 2 other trucks and we had to tandem pull them to me and me to the original stuck vehicle. The guy was lucky he got stuck only a mile from camp and it was early in the morning so he walked it back. He still didn't look too good when he got there.

I'm more than happy to help any one with a difficult recovery of rockets and ESPECIALLY PEOPLE AND VEHICLES. I will be bringing all the straps and gear and the Hummer is equiped with a 12k winch.
JUST DON'T ASK ME FOR A LADDER. That was a once in a lifetime thing.

Mike I've heard great things about you through Jack G and James and your knowledge of blackrock lake bed sounds superb. If I may i already want to call dibs on your help for me when I go and recover my rocket, I'm expecting 40k with 2-8mile recovery area. The rocket will take 15min to come down (should all the parachutes events happen when they are suppose to). It will have GPS and I've got a handheld, I just need help with the navigation of getting to my final destination.

One more trip across the playa with your minivan and it won't have an air dam! That's ok though, make it more "Jeeplike".
:rofl:

All packed!

13+-+1

Heading out tomorrow AM.

Alex

For those of you who are soon departing (and already have), travel safe! And also...I'm totally jealous of you! Black rock is the mecca of flying fields! Fly 'em high!! And please post pictures!!

Car ad RV are loaded up. Leaving shortly for some breakfast and then off to Black Rock!

Are you there yet? Do you get cell phone coverage on site?
Now comes the long silent wait for the good news. Please keep the channel clear so we can listen for any response......

Back