Launching a Cluster (Deuce) with Quest 9V launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Will a Quest 9V launch controller launch a two motor cluster, i.e. a Deuce's Wild!

Scott

In the old days I had a tough time lighting more than one motor with a 9v controller.

As a matter of fact I had a hard time lighting one motor reliably!

Generally a 9V just doesn't have enough amps to light two Estes or Quest type igniters, you might get away with very low current electric matches or flashbulbs if you can still find them.
For safety sake I'd get a larger battery, with more volts and higher amp output. the little Hobbyco 8 amp/hr 12volt gel cells are fantastic for most individual launch systems.

I wouldn't recommend it. Having done clusters for the better part of 3 1/2 decades, go with a solid 12VDC source (car battery would be best). Make sure you use something with some *kick* to it. 12 volts of NiMH or NiCad batteries would work also

jim

"Generally a 9V just doesn't have enough amps to light two Estes or Quest type igniters, you might get away with very low current electric matches or flashbulbs if you can still find them.
For safety sake I'd get a larger battery, with more volts and higher amp output. the little Hobbyco 8 amp/hr 12volt gel cells are fantastic for most individual launch systems."

Where can I buy the Hobbyco gel cells? Are there any websites that have them? I think I heard somewhere that gel cells are safer than normal 12 volt batters because they dont have acind in them.

Most hobby shops carry these small gel-cells, the R/C airplane and car folks use them extensively. every one of the hobby shops in my area has them. I've also seen them in Wal-marts in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area.
"Hobbico" is the band name but there are many manufacturers of gel-cells, and are available from most electronic suppliers. Try Allied Electronics www.alliedelec.com search under battery/power packs. they offer several brands, sizes and amp/hour ratings. My suggestion is to get the highest amp/hr rated battery your budget will allow.
You can also turn any 12v 300ma or higher power converter into a very nice trickle charger by replacing the plug end with a couple alligator clips, taking care to get the polarity (positive and negative) contacts correct. usually the 2 conductor cord has a strip or dashes printed on the positive lead.

All of the above considered, I used a Quest controller for my Deuce's first flight and it lit just fine. I had to hold the button down a bit longer than normal, and I made sure I used a brand new battery, but it worked.

Incidentally, Ugly Blue Deuce (soon to be the Original Whistlin' Deuce) got another flight in last weekend at HARA's launch. Two C6-5s, two fine smoke trails, and probably the straightest boost of the day. It landed on Walt Stafford's garage, but I managed to get it down using my canopy's poles all connected together. I sure wasn't going home without it...

Originally posted by GoBang
All of the above considered, I used a Quest controller for my Deuce's first flight and it lit just fine. I had to hold the button down a bit longer than normal, and I made sure I used a brand new battery, but it worked.

Incidentally, Ugly Blue Deuce (soon to be the Original Whistlin' Deuce) got another flight in last weekend at HARA's launch. Two C6-5s, two fine smoke trails, and probably the straightest boost of the day. It landed on Walt Stafford's garage, but I managed to get it down using my canopy's poles all connected together. I sure wasn't going home without it...

Thanks. So it is possible, but sounds like it is not necessarily advisable. This gives me the info I was looking for.

Thanks Everyone!

Scott :) :D :cool:

Back