Launch Rail Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
20200610_012153.jpg
I bought 8ft of 1010 aluminum extrusion and working on a pad for it. Plan on launching a lot of rockets off of this. Being someone who never used a rail yet I have a few questions:

1. Does mid powered motors (Like a E-12) have enough power to clear this rail? Or would the the inital boost be kind of too weak and the friction would either keep the rocket from launching off or affect the flight to a lower apogee?

2. With TVC test vehicles, is it a bad idea? My concern is the control won't be perfect and the computer will probabaly vector the gimbal a bit unnecessary at lift off thus making the thrust off axis and jamming the button to the side of the rail and creating friction. If so I will ditch flying TVC on this oad and just go straight over to the pad soley for TVC since it has 4 clamps that release the rocket right after ignition

20200222_181253.jpg

An E on 1010? Heck a kid in our club put flyaway rail guides on a 13mm rocket with an A10 in it. No problems at all and it was the funniest launch all day.

Binding from TVC could be a risk. I'd take a page from the barnard book and stand far away when you press the button for tvc testing

et with an A
An E on 1010? Heck a kid in our club put flyaway rail guides on a 13mm rocket with an A10 in it. No problems at all and it was the funniest launch all day.

Binding from TVC could be a risk. I'd take a page from the barnard book and stand far away when you press the button for tvc testing
Thank you for the advice. Lol didn't know even a A-10 was good enough to fly the rocket off a 8ft rail. Yes I'm really concerned about TVC which is why I made a 60 yard radius circle around the launchpad in case the rocket flips sidways and goes crazy k9 LP pre planning.png

Back