Latest scratch build, the Step It Up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And wouldn't you know it. More fin tab problems! :mad:

I measured everything two or three times, but the tabs were too low, and the top of the transition hit them. So I filed slots in the top of the transition to clear the tabs. Oh well, at least I've been able to figure out fixes for my mistakes. So far, anyway.

I like the looks of it with the finlets. It kind of looks like it's two stage. Uh oh. Now I've done it...

step_it_up49.jpg

step_it_up47.jpg

step_it_up48.jpg

During the show 'n' tell session of the meeting yesterday, Matt S showed off his scratch Nike Apache bird. All glass and about 8' tall. Two stage, too.

Looks a lot like your bird now that you've added the finlets just north of the transition.

During the show 'n' tell session of the meeting yesterday, Matt S showed off his scratch Nike Apache bird. All glass and about 8' tall. Two stage, too.

Looks a lot like your bird now that you've added the finlets just north of the transition.

Yeah, I probably got my inspiration from the Nike Apache. I've seen them before and I've always liked the sounding rocket look.

It looks awesome. Can't wait to see it fly! Any more additions you're working on?

To the Step it UP. Now that you mention it, thinking of any more to the fleet?

To the Step it UP. Now that you mention it, thinking of any more to the fleet?

Well, the Step It Up is pretty much done. I still have to drill for one of the rail buttons, and then start prepping for paint. I wanted to start painting today since it was sunny, but ran out of time. As for other projects, I'm working on an Estes Vector Force. I was also going to build a 24mm bird out of two BT-70's. I ordered the nose cone, coupler, motor tube, and centering rings for it when I ordered the parts for the Step It Up. But wouldn't you know it, I forgot to order the other two BT-70's. I'll need to place another order.

The bottom of my Slipstream is getting pretty banged up from the multiple landings. So I decided to try something I haven't done before. I cut a small piece off a coupler and epoxied it into the bottom. I think it'll help. How much it'll help won't be answered until I start flying it.

slipstream1.jpg

slipstream2.jpg

step_it_up53.jpg

step_it_up54.jpg

step_it_up57.jpg

Well that's cool. I have no idea what I'm adding next. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it rolls out. I have quite a lot that I have my eye on. (Kosdon 250 case, Upscale Estes Hi-Flyer, MadCow Patriot, personal Prototypeing, etc.)

That's a good idea on reinforcing, but, just like you, I don't know how well it will work.

Actually, I only have two rockets with 38mm motor mounts, the Minie Magg and the LOC-IV. The Minie Magg can't fly on G's.
If your Mini-Magg is close to stock, it will fly on the newer 2 grain G64-4 or the HP G138. With the G138, you will need to set the delay to 6 seconds.

If your Mini-Magg is close to stock, it will fly on the newer 2 grain G64-4 or the HP G138. With the G138, you will need to set the delay to 6 seconds.

You guys know me, I always overbuild everything. My Magg weighs 62oz ready to fly except for the motor. According to Thrustcurve, a 38mm G339 will only take it to about 374 feet. I don't know if a G64 would even get it off the pad.

You guys know me, I always overbuild everything. My Magg weighs 62oz ready to fly except for the motor. According to Thrustcurve, a 38mm G339 will only take it to about 374 feet. I don't know if a G64 would even get it off the pad.

I have a Polecat Aerospace Fat Man that weighs about the same as you mini magg and it flys good on the Pro38 G79. I thought I had a vidoe of one of the G flights but all I could find is one on an H.

It did not go out of sight, but as your tag indicates - Low and Slow is the way to go !

I have a Polecat Aerospace Fat Man that weighs about the same as you mini magg and it flys good on the Pro38 G79. I thought I had a vidoe of one of the G flights but all I could find is one on an H.

It did not go out of sight, but as your tag indicates - Low and Slow is the way to go !

My LOC-IV flies great on 38mm G's. But it's almost half the weight of the Minie Magg.

I've been lazy today. I was planning on painting the Step It Up since it's been sunny, but all I got done was sealing and sanding the transition and nose cone, and spraying the whole thing with primer. Hopefully it'll be sunny tomorrow, and I can spray on the gloss white.

step_it_up58.jpg

step_it_up59.jpg

The bottom of my Slipstream is getting pretty banged up from the multiple landings. So I decided to try something I haven't done before. I cut a small piece off a coupler and epoxied it into the bottom. I think it'll help. How much it'll help won't be answered until I start flying it.

That is a great idea for rockets that land on the bottom of the BT.

(Greever adds another trick gleaned from The Rocketry Forum!)

Thanks for sharing.

That is a great idea for rockets that land on the bottom of the BT.

(Greever adds another trick gleaned from The Rocketry Forum!)

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment! Like I said, I'll have to wait and see how much it helps, but it has to help at least a little.

Surprise surprise. More paint problems. This is gloss white sprayed on white primer. Same brand and type of paint, Rustoleum Painters Touch. I'm so frustrated.

wrinkles1.jpg

wrinkles2.jpg

wrinkles3.jpg

wrinkles5.jpg

I recently layed down a heavy coat of grey 2x Rustoleum. It was four days before I could dry sand and it still clogged the paper a bit. I'm guessing it was still curing.

Surprise surprise. More paint problems. This is gloss white sprayed on white primer. Same brand and type of paint, Rustoleum Painters Touch. I'm so frustrated.

Did you read the recoat instructions. I don't know about Rustoleum, but I know I've seen paint with a recommend recoat time of "within 1 hour or after 72 hours" Personnally, if it said 72 hours, I'd wait 96 hours, at least.

Nice build!

I'm an overbuilder to a point...I'm still level "0" so the restrictions on weight and motor options keep me in check...:wink:

Great idea on the coupler to re-inforce the bottom of the BT.

I've been taking lots of pictures of my last two builds. Once I have some time, I'll have to post them all in a couple of build threads of my own soon!

Again, great job!!!!

Just noticed you changed your tag line to "Captain Slow-n-Low". Too funny. Luckily I hung up my cape a while ago. They used to call me "Captain Save a Ho" :confused2:

The problem areas all seem to have a spiral in common. Maybe the spirals were'nt sealed completly by the primer and the gloss worked its way into them.

After the problem areas are sanded smooth, try sealing up the sanded areas and the spirals with Thin Ca applied with a Q-tip. Lightly sand the CA smooth when it's dry with fine sand paper and repaint.

Just noticed you changed your tag line to "Captain Slow-n-Low". Too funny. Luckily I hung up my cape a while ago. They used to call me "Captain Save a Ho" :confused2:

I love slow flights! The best I've had are with my Artemis rockets. I fly those almost exclusively on E9-6's, and they are impressive to watch. Always a fun one for the young'ens in the crowd...

LaunchPad2bs.jpg

The Artemis is actually a bash between my own work, and a Blue Ninja fin can. When I designed / built the Artemis rockets, I was actively getting back into rocketry still, and I did not have all the things I wanted to have to cut my own fins yet, so I opted for a stock Blue Ninja fin can modified to use an engine hook and to accept the longer E motors.

I love slow flights! The best I've had are with my Artemis rockets. I fly those almost exclusively on E9-6's, and they are impressive to watch. Always a fun one for the young'ens in the crowd...

The Artemis is actually a bash between my own work, and a Blue Ninja fin can. When I designed / built the Artemis rockets, I was actively getting back into rocketry still, and I did not have all the things I wanted to have to cut my own fins yet, so I opted for a stock Blue Ninja fin can modified to use an engine hook and to accept the longer E motors.

Nice looking rocket, and clever, too.

The problem areas all seem to have a spiral in common. Maybe the spirals were'nt sealed completly by the primer and the gloss worked its way into them.

After the problem areas are sanded smooth, try sealing up the sanded areas and the spirals with Thin Ca applied with a Q-tip. Lightly sand the CA smooth when it's dry with fine sand paper and repaint.

I'm not so sure about the spirals. Since there are so many on the body tubes, you'd think that there would have been a lot more wrinkling. I think it has to do with the weather more than anything else. It was sunny but fairly cool when I painted it.

Nice build!

I'm an overbuilder to a point...I'm still level "0" so the restrictions on weight and motor options keep me in check...:wink:

Great idea on the coupler to re-inforce the bottom of the BT.

I've been taking lots of pictures of my last two builds. Once I have some time, I'll have to post them all in a couple of build threads of my own soon!

Again, great job!!!!

Thanks for the compliments! I look forward to seeing your builds.

Finally had some good sunny weather, so I worked on the paint today. I sanded the wrinkles, and sprayed another coat of gloss white on the nose cone, transition, and fins. When that was dry, I masked the fins and painted the body tubes red. I was going to put a lengthwise white stripe on both bodies, but decided not to. It's going to be red bodies, and white fins, nose cone, and transition.

step_it_up63.jpg

step_it_up64.jpg

step_it_up66.jpg

step_it_up67.jpg

I think I like it. Now I just need to get a decal for it. I decided to go with rail buttons on this one instead of launch lugs.

step_it_up69.jpg

step_it_up70.jpg

step_it_up71.jpg

Back