Latest RC Rocket Boosted Glider - SR71 Blackbird

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
I finished this up this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to test fly it, so I don't know yet how it will perform. The EDF powered version is supposed to fly pretty good, so I am hoping the rocket boosted RC glider version will fly well, too.

IMG_4530 res.jpg

Good luck, what are you going to fly it on?

Frank

I finished this up this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to test fly it, so I don't know yet how it will perform. The EDF powered version is supposed to fly pretty good, so I am hoping the rocket boosted RC glider version will fly well, too.

It only weighs about 28 ounces. It's entirely foam. It measures 46" long with a 29" wingspan. I'm debating between an F22 and an F40 for the first launch. Leaning towards the F40.

The F-22 has about 5-6 pounds thrust off the pad and burns for 3 seconds, the F-40 has a bit more NS total, and the burn is shorter and harder. Given the liftoff weight of 28 ounces, the F-22 would allow you a bit more reaction time to adjust on the way up(softer boost), but if you think it will be pretty trim and you do a vertical launch, the F-40 will probably get you up a bit higher.

You are probably only going to get 400 feet or so at that weight and an F motor, maybe higher since it isn't too draggy.

Frank

It only weighs about 28 ounces. It's entirely foam. It measures 46" long with a 29" wingspan. I'm debating between an F22 and an F40 for the first launch. Leaning towards the F40.

I think it's the older version of the kit that bannana hobbies brings in, Probably got this, the airframe only version: https://www.bananahobby.com/1801-openbox.html. The length is a bit off, but it has lots of panel details etc. Maybe the original poster can give some more specifics of what and where he got it.

Frank

Last edited:
The link to banana hobbies looks like the same plane. I got mine from BP Hobbies, and I think NitroPlanes has it, too.

The measurements that I gave were actual measurements of the model I have.

I bought an SR71 foam jet kit from Nitroplanes about 6 months ago with the intention to make it an RC rocket glider. The kit is made by MaxJet and came with everything needed except for a receiver, servos, battery and transmitter.

The conversion for rocket boost was easy since a 29mm motor tube fits nicely in the aft end of the fuselage. The wings had pockets already in them for the elevon servos. The rudders were thick enough that a servo could be placed in them for steering.

The project was moving along well until I got some advice from an RC rocket glider expert and some feedback from RC Group discussions. The glider expert expressed concern about 2 factors. First, he said that getting the SR71 to be stable on boost would require considerable nose weight that would need to be ejected or lost after boost to get the plane to glide. That part was not a big concern for me. I planned to eject the nose weight after boost. But his second concern was that this jet would "fly like a brick". This comment was repeated by a few people on RC groups. They all felt that it would not have enough airspeed during unpowered glide to really fly at all.

This cooled off my enthusiasm about gliding it so I built it as a rocket. The fuselage separates at the junction with the forward edge of the wings and I added short 54mm tubes at that point to make a slip joint and shock cord anchorage. I figured that I will try it as a rocket on G or H motors to see how it holds up under thrust.

I still would like to try it as a rocket glider so I am anxious to see how yours works out. I am considering buying another kit after a few successful rocket launches and proceeding with my original glider plan.

I look forward to hearing about how your launch goes.

I bought an SR71 foam jet kit from Nitroplanes about 6 months ago with the intention to make it an RC rocket glider. The kit is made by MaxJet and came with everything needed except for a receiver, servos, battery and transmitter.

The conversion for rocket boost was easy since a 29mm motor tube fits nicely in the aft end of the fuselage. The wings had pockets already in them for the elevon servos. The rudders were thick enough that a servo could be placed in them for steering.

The project was moving along well until I got some advice from an RC rocket glider expert and some feedback from RC Group discussions. The glider expert expressed concern about 2 factors. First, he said that getting the SR71 to be stable on boost would require considerable nose weight that would need to be ejected or lost after boost to get the plane to glide. That part was not a big concern for me. I planned to eject the nose weight after boost. But his second concern was that this jet would "fly like a brick". This comment was repeated by a few people on RC groups. They all felt that it would not have enough airspeed during unpowered glide to really fly at all.

This cooled off my enthusiasm about gliding it so I built it as a rocket. The fuselage separates at the junction with the forward edge of the wings and I added short 54mm tubes at that point to make a slip joint and shock cord anchorage. I figured that I will try it as a rocket on G or H motors to see how it holds up under thrust.

I still would like to try it as a rocket glider so I am anxious to see how yours works out. I am considering buying another kit after a few successful rocket launches and proceeding with my original glider plan.

I look forward to hearing about how your launch goes.

Really it sorta depends on what you want to do. There's plenty of wing area to give you a good controllable glide. It would be a lot shorter duration than a standard glider but stable. The trick is to get the CG just right. Forward CG will make it stable but fast ,putting you in the situation of lifting the nose up . If you move the CG back to a sweet spot, it takes less input. and you don't have to muscle the nose up. Too far back and you'll get pitch sensitive and the strakes can cause it to pitch up suddenly. Your just gonna have to tinker with it. If it were me I'd start a bit conservative and push the CG back a bit at a time. Speaking from experience.

With an SR-71 if you are ok flying it on the way up(correcting for disturbances) you can get by with slightly tail heavy on boost and slightly nose heavy on glide and as long as you have sufficient elevon size and throw you can compensate. That's how the hobbylab version worked and I've done several profiles that work the same way. You do need to check your CG shift for boost and glide, with a model that size, a 1"-1.25" shift should be easily trimmable for glide and still be stable for boost. You won't get a competition glide, but it will work ok. If your CG shift is significanly more than that, you might have trouble getting enough trim to make it interesting. If you want to drop nose weight, then you don't need to worry about the CG shift.

What's the wing area and length/wingspan of the Sr-71 you have?

Frank

Back