Laserloc223

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marintse

Reaction score
I have built a LaserLOC 223 and fiberglassed it with 4 oz cloth. I flew it on an H motor to 2000 ft. What I need to know is if I can launch it on a K motor. Has anyone tried this? Is this too powerful a motor for a 5 ft, 2.33" rocket?

I have built a LaserLOC 223 and fiberglassed it with 4 oz cloth. I flew it on an H motor to 2000 ft. What I need to know is if I can launch it on a K motor. Has anyone tried this? Is this too powerful a motor for a 5 ft, 2.33" rocket?
Kind of a wide question, but yes you can go on a K
Depends on which K motor
Depends on how good your building skills are
Depends on how good your glassing skills are
Depends on what your field’s waiver limit is

I built a Laserloc 313 with no fiberglass and I will be flying it on long burn Ks and K550s with no worries…

If you are glassed I think you will be in pretty good shape, especially being a Loc kit.

I’ll be looking to build a 223 as well.

F708F90A-1C20-4BEB-8CB2-B3D125BED0ED.jpeg

Kind of a wide question, but yes you can go on a K
Depends on which K motor
Depends on how good your building skills are
Depends on how good your glassing skills are
Depends on what your field’s waiver limit is
Thank you for your reply. To further clarify:
(1) A K535 (12% K)
(2) Building skills are good
(3) it was my first attempt at glassing but I think it was pretty good - a few narrow places where the fiberglass didn't adhere fully to the body tube because the mylar pulled the fabric away slightly. Didn't mylar the fins, so the fiberglass is solid.
(4) Waiver is not an issue - it would be at the NSL in Alamosa.

Thank you for your reply. To further clarify:
(1) A K535 (12% K)
(2) Building skills are good
(3) it was my first attempt at glassing but I think it was pretty good - a few narrow places where the fiberglass didn't adhere fully to the body tube because the mylar pulled the fabric away slightly. Didn't mylar the fins, so the fiberglass is solid.
(4) Waiver is not an issue - it would be at the NSL in Alamosa.
Given that, you should have no problems

And don't forget the GPS tracker.

I flew mine on an H250G to 2800 feet and lost sight of it. Never did see it coming down but GPS (Eggfinder) walked me right to it.

And don't forget the GPS tracker.

I flew mine on an H250G to 2800 feet and lost sight of it. Never did see it coming down but GPS (Eggfinder) walked me right to it.
I always use my Featherweight GPS. Would never launch without it. After losing a rocket using an I motor and watching it drift out of sight in a thermal never to be seen again (along with a chute release, camera, altimeter, and motor casing) I swore to never make that mistake again.

I always use my Featherweight GPS. Would never launch without it. After losing a rocket using an I motor and watching it drift out of sight in a thermal never to be seen again (along with a chute release, camera, altimeter, and motor casing) I swore to never make that mistake again.
That is, my mistake was not using a GPS tracker.

People used to launch LaserLoc 2.1, no fiberglass, on K250s.
Motor ejected. No electronics.
Mark and I are both old school, late 80s early 90s for me, he earlier if my memory is correct. Met Mark once with Frank. Gosh I miss that guy.
Back to the question, I had no idea or any thought about 'glassing back then. LOC did and now continues to offer top shelf kits. I'd fly it with no glass and be very confident to do so. Been there, done that. It was on an AT K1100.

Back