larger x-15 for G motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My good buddy, John Lyngdal handed me a 32mm rc casing and a couple of G12 reloads to look at so.....

I'm trying an upscale X-15 for it. I've laminated a carbon rod spar into the fuse splices made from 6mm, with 3mm top and bottom over the spar and rear pivot rod. The tail pieces are also laminated 6mm with 3mm over the torque tube. Fuse is two pieces of 6mm spliced and laminated. Took 3.5 sheets of 6mm and 3 sheets of 3mm. Total airframe weight is 18.5 ounces. I'm hoping ready to fly will be 25-27 ounces and the G will be sufficient, however sims show a pretty low altitude, so my backup plans are 29mm F-40, G38, G40, G64 and G54.

It's around 70" long and 33" wingspan.

I need to finish the other tail piece, slot the wing, slice the fuse in two and cut tabs to fit onto the top and bottom of the wing piece.

I've got some hitec medium metal gear servos for the tail controls.

Frank

WP_001207.jpg

Last edited:
Added a spruce strip inlayed on the fuse side with blind nuts and rail buttons, added the 29mm motor mount, laminated some styrene on the nose and tail for landing skids, slotted the wing and fuse, and glued on the fuse bottom. Just need to round the wings, and top fuse, glue it in place and install the servos.

Frank

WP_001208.jpg

Somewhat of a change from your normal V2 fare Frank! :wink:

Thanks Tim.

Yeah, I think I'm over my V-2 phase....for pure rockets I decided to focus on something that didn't have small fins or require lots of nose weight, so I'm building a 7.5" pershing 1A........

Somewhat of a change from your normal V2 fare Frank! :wink:

Next time you see John, tell him "Bunny" says hi, and is looking forward to the NARCON 2012 wine tasting.

Next time you see John, tell him "Bunny" says hi, and is looking forward to the NARCON 2012 wine tasting.

I already have my flights booked for NARCON, now we just need Frank to make the trip so he can show more of us how to build and fly the fun projects he has been teasing RC challenged folks like me with.

The electric Mirage 2000 ARF that has be gathering dust in my garage for years is on the fast track for a 24mm rocket glider conversion.

John

So is this a skeleton, or is this the rocket essentially completed? Very interesting, and great choice of aircraft!!!

Yes, essentially it is 90% done, this is what they call a profile model, top and side views. The advantage of this style is that you get a ton of surface area, and can keep the weight down. If I was to do a full fuse, it would be a bit heavier, but the lift will be reduced(I've done this on a smaller scale version) and the glide is faster and steeper.

Once it is painted and detailed it looks a lot better than the white foam would lead you to believe.

I wanted to try something on the extreme end of my smaller models, while still not having to adjust balast, I think the G motors in this size are about the limit of what I can get away with without having to do something complicated. The cg shift will be around 2", which relatively is on the order of what my E sized planes can handle.

So is this a skeleton, or is this the rocket essentially completed? Very interesting, and great choice of aircraft!!!

Model is all complete except for painting, AUW with nose weight needed is 36 ounces with a G-33. I've also got a G-25 from John to try out. Hopefully with decent weather tomorrow we'll be able to get in a test flight, wish me luck!

Frank

Model is all complete except for painting, AUW with nose weight needed is 36 ounces with a G-33. I've also got a G-25 from John to try out. Hopefully with decent weather tomorrow we'll be able to get in a test flight, wish me luck!

Frank

36z on the old G33 load is going to chug its way up nicely if slower. Since you've got the ability to correct it if it somehow wants to 'fall off' from vertical, it should be a nice ride regardless.

Man, I still wish Aerotech had brought *THAT* load back! And, that nonstandard G25 wouldn't be a bad thing to have reappear either. BTW, my last Ellis G20 cato'ed...:mad:

I think I heard the G-33 might come back.....

36z on the old G33 load is going to chug its way up nicely if slower. Since you've got the ability to correct it if it somehow wants to 'fall off' from vertical, it should be a nice ride regardless.

Man, I still wish Aerotech had brought *THAT* load back! And, that nonstandard G25 wouldn't be a bad thing to have reappear either. BTW, my last Ellis G20 cato'ed...:mad:

Got in two flights today. First flight on a G-25 was majestic, it chuffed a couple of times like they tend to do, and then a nice graceful boost to around 600 feet, pitched over and hit the glide trim, and it was perfect, nice and slow and plenty of authority to flare for a tail first touchdown.

The second flight I liked a bit better on a G33, much more growl and faster boost, again arrow straight, pitch over and nice glide. The 6' rail worked perfectly.

All in all, I'm very happy and will now do the painting and panel lines. Thanks to John for digging the motors out of the archives/vault. Only got one cell phone picture that is blurry on the G-25. I think the perfect motor will be a G-40.

I also helped John do a converson of an old mirage 2000 from wattage this morning to 24mm boost glide. AUW came out to 8.5 ounces with an E-6. Man that thing scooted and rolled like a drill bit, and the glide was outstanding. It took about 3 hours to do the conversion and assemble it, well worth it.

Frank

bigX15.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, I was pretty happy. I'll try to paint it tonight, and put on the panel lines. Then i'll post some pictures.

BTW I'm still trying to come up with something large and light enough to handle the CG shift of a G-12 and still have the motor in the tail, I think I have upscaled my Interceptor and have a plan of attack to get an AUW rtf of 21 oz....

Frank

Terrific work, Frank, on the large X-15, a model that weighs 3 pounds and glides well! I would love to see more pictures.

Painted and applied panel lines tonight, will let the paint outgas a bit before doing the lettering and markings. Starting to look more like an x-15. It's next to the 42" long original version.

Frank

WP_001240.jpg

WP_001241.jpg

Thanks to John Lyngdal and George Rachor, got in a perfect flight of the x-15, now painted, on a G-40, perfect motor, arrow straight hands off boost, easy glide, nice flame and sound.

Frank

x15big1.jpg

x15big.jpg

Last edited:
all you need now is a B52 mothership to airdrop(with an airstart) it :).
rex

A really smooth flight and graceful landing. Are you thinking of trying larger engines?

Philip, no, these are specifically built with weight and motors in mind so that the stress on the surfaces is minimized and the boost CG and burnout CG are in range. If I went to a larger motor, say an H, it will add about 3 more ounces to the rear which requires 3 more ounces to the nose, and the CG shift will be too much.

Frank

A really smooth flight and graceful landing. Are you thinking of trying larger engines?

Glad to see you still flying both this and the Bomarc!! I reckon you still have G33s or access to them yet....still waiting for AT to rerelease them.....

I used up the last G-33 my friend had, and the motor vendor found one in the wrong bin...he may have a line on a few more, but I think G-40's are perfect in the X-15, the bomarc likes the G-33 better, I'm going to try a G-38 next time...

Frank

Glad to see you still flying both this and the Bomarc!! I reckon you still have G33s or access to them yet....still waiting for AT to rerelease them.....

Back