Krylon & Filler Incompatability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
Just a heads up for you all so you, like I don't have to refinish your models!

My wife got some new light weight spackle called Patch and Paint that seemed to be identical to filler that I used to use on my RC planes long ago. Super easy to work with and sand. Very light weight. It took Kilz primer great.

Krylon paint however, sloughed off of the model terribly! It took the primer and filler and crinkled it badly!

Great filler , but don't mix it with Krylon paint! I will definately use it for my RG that won't be getting paint!

Here's a shot of the tub.

If you painted over the filler with Kilz, isn't more likely that the Krylon rected to that instead of the filler? Or was the problem limited to only those areas you used the filler?

kj

how long did you let the Kilz cure before painting?

I also prime with Kilz. I allow at least 48 hours to let all the solvents fully evaporate. I have had reactions with Krylon & Rustoleum similar to what you describe. This often happened after a shorter drying time. Since allowing 48hrs for the Kilz to cure, I haven't had the crinkling/alligatoring that I used to.

I have to agree with zog43editor. I wonder if the Kilz was not fully cured?

I have been using different brands of spackling for the last few years, and I have not had any trouble. I use both Krylon and Rustoleum paints and primers.

I use Kilz alll the time with great success. The Krylon only came off in the areas where the filler was applied. It also was on three different models ranging anywhere from a coouple of days to almost a month for the primer to cure.

I didn't figure out what was going on until I was spraying the wing for my Scissorwing Transport, which I had used the filler only around the launch lug in the wing and that's the only place on the whole model that crinkled. Really weird as you'd think the Kilz would act as a barrier from the Krylon. Then looking back, the other areas that crinkled on the other models were where it had been used as well, i.e. repairing a cracked fin & touching up a transition in an airframe...

Back