Kalibr cruise missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhill9693

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
These things are currently getting fired at Ukraine 🇺🇦

I see a sustainer and a booster, a configuration similar to the US Tomahawk cruise missile.

But what are those… things on the rear of the booster?! And what is their function?

699A1943-AD83-4D00-9EE8-3DDB789E5D46.jpeg

WaPo identifies them as “stabilizers,” is this true? How does that work aerodynamically?

6C8FD2C1-1A39-426F-AFAC-3E78A7F96F03.png

Those are grid fins. Russians used grid fins on their moon rocket N-1 on the first stage. I believe Space-X uses grid fins on the forward end of the Falcon-9 booster. By turning the grid fins the rocket can be guided. As I recall Falcon-9 has the booster grid fins folded up during ascent. When the booster flies back for landing the grid fins are unfolded and help guide the rocket during re-entry. As I recall grid fins can be used in supersonic flight.

Those are grid fins. Russians used grid fins on their moon rocket N-1 on the first stage. I believe Space-X uses grid fins on the forward end of the Falcon-9 booster. By turning the grid fins the rocket can be guided. As I recall Falcon-9 has the booster grid fins folded up during ascent. When the booster flies back for landing the grid fins are unfolded and help guide the rocket during re-entry. As I recall grid fins can be used in supersonic flight.
In addition to what Aerostadt said, the booster is only attached for a very....and I mean very short time hence the reason the grid fins are probably only able to unfold, no other active capabilities.

Back