Just a "small" test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it! Does it fly on micromaxx motors or 13mm? I did a mmx downscale of the wildman Darkstar out of carbon fiber for both the body tube and fins as well.
Ken

@aerostadt If I ever knew what a NAR competition is :) SOrry. Relatively new to rocketry (started in May) and still learning tons of things :)
NAR is the National Association of Rocketry, one of two governing bodies for the hobby in the United States. They sanction a variety of competitive building and flight events, with competitors sorted by age, team/solo status, and motor impulse class. They also verify performance records, the highest flight for a single-stage MMX model is 84m (275ft).

Nice. Maybe this might work good for NAR Competition.

I believe it's heavy for that. At 3.35g unloaded & without a nosecone it's heavier than a standard tube and balsa fins would be for that same airframe, let alone vellum construction or such. For example of the latter, check out micromeister's competition rockets at the bottom of this post: 2.1g on the altitude rockets (inc. nosecone), 2.8g on the 25cm super-roc!
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...r-works-finished-rockets.143429/#post-1742084
I get that in general absolute minimum weight is not always the competition ideal, but I don't know if that applies to MMX where the coast phase is crippled by the miniscule delay. Very curious to hear from others with actual competition building experience or knowledge.

To be clear, these comments are in absolutely no way at all meant to detract from @McTschegsn's work. The rocket looks really nice and I'm sure it'll fly great.

Well as I have no competition in mind I have no worries being that heavy :D

By the way. Since this is my first own design MMX Rocket. What do you guys use for shock cords? The original MMX kits came with some sort of thread which is not really my style.

By the way. Since this is my first own design MMX Rocket. What do you guys use for shock cords? The original MMX kits came with some sort of thread which is not really my style.
Probably the thinnest kevlar thread I have handy.

My Doubles kit came with Kevlar thread. I’ve done a couple “fling” tests (detailed in my build thread, not hard to find) and it works fine.

I have now completed the top so far. A chic turned aluminum part. It's not the lightest one, but carbon and aluminum complement each other visually.
The tip is hollowed out a little and prepared so that the shock cord can be knotted.
I think the little one should be completely ready by next week and look forward to her maiden flight.

20221110162921_c.jpg

Too pointy? :)

I have now completed the top so far. A chic turned aluminum part. It's not the lightest one, but carbon and aluminum complement each other visually.
The tip is hollowed out a little and prepared so that the shock cord can be knotted.
I think the little one should be completely ready by next week and look forward to her maiden flight.

View attachment 545787

Too pointy? :)
Is the aluminum legal?

Well as I saw some rocket models here in germany which hand an aluminum tip I think so. If anyone has other information this cone is easily changed to wood.
I see.

Here in the United States our safety codes specify the minimum use of ductile metal required for safe flight. Motor retention, recovery system attachment, and electrical/electronic components are the common ones uses of metal.

I didn’t realize you were overseas. If it’s solid aluminum you’ll want to check the rules in your jurisdiction. Your aviation regulatory authority or rocketry governing body may have guidelines on what materials model rockets may be made out of. The big thing is that in the event of a collision with an aircraft, the rocket should be damaged, not the aircraft. Paper, plastic, and wood are best for this, but European standards may permit small aluminum components.

If it’s a thin layer for cosmetic purposes you should be fine.

You should also be mindful of the potential for the nosecone to not pop off and the whole thing come in ballistic on the pointy metal end. The nosecone's presumably comparatively heavy, that airframe has reasonably large volume for MMX, and the ejection charge just isn't that strong or hot. With that nose weight I could also see the rocket transitioning pretty quick to downward ballistic flight, so I'm not sure it'll tumble enough for the nosecone to just fall off either. Totally armchair theorizing here though.

Rocket looks beautiful, BTW.

Last edited:
Good point (pun intended :D )
The nosecone falls off very easily when you turn the roc upside down so the MMX motor should have no problems to pop that cone off.
I will think over that and try that out. Dont have much experience with those MMXes tbh.
Ill give it a try on the next launchday and let the pros look over that. If we decide that it is too dangerous we wont fly it and Ill give it another nosecone.
Thank you for your opinion 👍

I'm not aware of any RSO who would find an eighth of a gram of aluminum problematic.

But also, this thing can be flown almost anywhere.

Even a ballistic flight on this thing would be about as dangerous as a spit C casing.

Good point (pun intended :D )
The nosecone falls off very easily when you turn the roc upside down so the MMX motor should have no problems to pop that cone off.
I will think over that and try that out. Dont have much experience with those MMXes tbh.
Ill give it a try on the next launchday and let the pros look over that. If we decide that it is too dangerous we wont fly it and Ill give it another nosecone.
Thank you for your opinion 👍
I might suggest a little tighter of a fit. In other kits where available ejection charges are pretty weak for the body tube (the Estes Big Dart Daddy, for example), loose fits mean that gas escapes and that nose goes nowhere. On those ones, it should be easily removed but not fall-out-of-the-tube loose.

Of course this scale is totally different than the aptly-named Big Daddy with its 3-inch (approximately 76mm) diameter tube, and it’s your rocket. I’ll suppress my peanut gallery instinct now to let you exercise your own judgement.

I might suggest a little tighter of a fit. In other kits where available ejection charges are pretty weak for the body tube (the Estes Big Dart Daddy, for example), loose fits mean that gas escapes and that nose goes nowhere. On those ones, it should be easily removed but not fall-out-of-the-tube loose.
Thank you for your opinion. I think I got just the right fit. A layer of tape is too much and you cant pull out the cone anymore.
I will just give it a try :)

Im hesitating a bit to cut off the nosecone to blunten it a bit... Its looking awesome this way :D
But I think I have to...
Regarding the seperation I achieved a fit so that I can turn the rocket upside down and the cone falls off when shaking a bit.

Last edited:
Im hesitating a bit to cut off the nosecone to blunten it a bit... Its looking awesome this way :D
But I think I have to...
Regarding the seperation I achieved a fit so that I can turn the rocket upside down and the cone falls off when shaking a bit.
I don't know the laws for flying in Germany, but at least in the US I wouldn't need a waiver or any kind of a club launch for this.

It's a gram or so of propellant, no staging, no clustering, 4-5g total liftoff mass, ~50m up and down.

Let us know how it goes!

Oh @Zeta There not really much to build there... Took a carbon fiber tube, cut some carbin fiber fins and CAed them together... Plus some aluminum tip and two Pianowire rods installed for the Shock Cord...
I checked the design in Rocksim tho.

Last edited:
Back