Jolly logic and drogue on single deploy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Ok, this might be totally foolish...I am building a Madcow DX3 2.6" . The area I launch is good size, but not enormous, so, is it possible to use a 12"-15" regular chute, and still use a 24"-36" chute on the shock cord with a Jolly Logic? The area I fly is pretty hard pack soil/rock, and I'd like to have the big chute deploy at around 150 yards...or is that cutting it to close? Thanks for any help, I'm getting back into this after many , many years.?lots of cool new stuff..?rsbhunter

I just use the biggest chute protecter I can in a certain sized rocket and that keeps the parts separated nicely and then just use the JLCR on the main chute. I've never seen a need for a drogue chute at all. A drogue will just keep it in the air that much longer. It could be done if you wish. Deploying at that altitude should be fine.

I have a 2.2" PML Callisto I use a JLCR with. I usually use 200 ft. but will drop it to 100 ft. if I want to mess with the LCO some. It is farm fields so it's pretty soft landing. I don't use any drogue chute. The main chute with the JLCR acts as all the drogue I need. The rocket comes down fin first very fast. The chute and JLCR is up and the nose cone tends to float around, but stays below the chute.

Last edited:
Ok, this might be totally foolish...I am building a Madcow DX3 2.6" . The area I launch is good size, but not enormous, so, is it possible to use a 12"-15" regular chute, and still use a 24"-36" chute on the shock cord with a Jolly Logic? The area I fly is pretty hard pack soil/rock, and I'd like to have the big chute deploy at around 150 yards...or is that cutting it to close? Thanks for any help, I'm getting back into this after many , many years.?lots of cool new stuff..?rsbhunter
Welcome back, from this B.A.R. (Then: 1973(?). 'Now': 2016(?).)
"Lots of cool new stuff": I've only begun to learn just how much, with new cool stuff every day, almost!
Best wishes, if you're about to try L1/L2 cert.! (JL 'Chute Releases are great, but please don't skip the 'shake test', etc., that John Beans recommends with each use.)

If your concern is recovery in a small field, then a drogue chute is the opposite of what you want, since like Jeff mentioned, it will slow the rocket's descent from apogee. Skip the drogue and just use the JLCR on the main.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towaed the JL and chute combo..I've had rockets come down with the chute still wrapped, and survive. Not that the wallet is self refilling, but as far as hobbies go, this is still reasonable, as long as I stay with the mpr. God help me if I ever get L1 certified!!!! rsbhunter

I have a 2.6" PML Callisto I use a JLCR with. I usually use 200 ft. but will drop it to 100 ft. if I want to mess with the LCO some. It is farm fields so it's pretty soft landing. I don't use any drogue chute. The main chute with the JLCR acts as all the drogue I need. The rocket comes down fin first very fast. The chute and JLCR is up and the nose cone tends to float around, but stays below the chute.
Isn't the Callisto 2.2"?

I have used a drogue plus a JLCR on occasion. Usually when I'm looking at a high-ish altitude (maybe 1200ft or more), with a low opening (300ft), but I want to make sure the nose cone stays away from the body. The drogue helps stabilize the freefall a little. Also slows it down slightly so opening isn't too dramatic. Typically like for my King Kraken. I've also used the streamer like Scott said.

I'm sure you'd be fine either way, so give it a try. Just make sure you pack it all neatly.

I'm leaning towaed the JL and chute combo..I've had rockets come down with the chute still wrapped, and survive. Not that the wallet is self refilling, but as far as hobbies go, this is still reasonable, as long as I stay with the mpr. God help me if I ever get L1 certified!!!! rsbhunter
As our club officer Carl says [upon successful L1/L2 achievement], "Welcome to high power rocketry.
Now open your wallet!"
Isn't the Callisto 2.2"?
Yes. (As a LOCPrecision/PML kit.)

I've flown a *lot* with a JLCR. The only reason I've ever used a drogue was for visibility on a really high flight. I stuck one end of a crepe paper ribbon under the loop of the JLCR. It opened and unfurled on ejection, then was released when the JLCR released.

Latest posts

Back