J B Weld Epoxy for Aeropack Motor Retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airwolfe1

Reaction score
I have an AeroPack Motor retainer and it specifically recommends using J B Weld "strong as steel" epoxy that you can find at Home Depot. My question is why only this type of epoxy (I assume it's because it can sustain heat) and is there any other type of "space aged" epoxy that may be more apporiate for this use.

Also, if this JB weld is so well suited for a motor retainer, would it be just as good for the entire construction of the rocket?

And while I'm on the subject of heat and epoxy, has anyone ever experienced softening of epoxy on TTW Fins to the MMT or centering rings on the MMT? (I'm talking about 54mm MMT's or larger)

JB Weld is a high-temp epoxy that works well on metal, but compared to other epoxies it can be expensive since it's typically only available in smallish tubes. It's also thicker than your typical 15-30 minute epoxy so it can be harder to work with.

Originally posted by utahrc
JB Weld is a high-temp epoxy that works well on metal, but compared to other epoxies it can be expensive since it's typically only available in smallish tubes. It's also thicker than your typical 15-30 minute epoxy so it can be harder to work with.
If you go to some auto parts stores you can buy larger tubes of JB Weld. They call it JB Industro-Weld I think. The tubes are about 6 oz. each if I recall correctly. I like JB Kwik weld because it cures in only 5 minutes. It seems to be almost just as stong as the original.

turn to jelly at around 200° F, while JB Weld survives temperatures of 500° without a problem.

Back