I chose the viper 3, because I wanted something "a little different" than my other two midpower rockets. I'm not building any HPR yet, since my vehicle barely runs right now, and its a two hour plus drive to the nearest location that high power launches are held. Hopefully I'll have reliable transportation by the time Rockstock XX rolls around in November.
I decided therefore that the only way I could push my own personal envelope for now, then would be to work on my clustering skills. I didn't want it to become too expensive to fly, however, so I kept it down to a three cluster model.
I'm going to be making a few changes to the Loc Viper 3 design, as well. I noticed that the kit comes with a single long body tube. I'm going to cut the tube in half, and put in a coupler and bulkplate in the middle, with the shockcord mounted to a screw eye in the bulkplate. The bulkplate will have eight 3/8" holes drilled around its periphery. I cant put steel ribbon in the motor tube, since there are three of them and they are short, so I will instead epoxy some steel ribbon to the underside of the bulk plate.
I've been flying mine regularly for 2 yrs now built stock
I would use caution when modifing one( if resulting in extra weight) ,,on the occasion that only 2 motors light it still has enough umph to recover safely on D12's and just enough on E9's..
but when all 3 light it's a different story