Is it possible to ship rocketmotors outside the US?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleLense

Reaction score
Hello!
I was in touch with my local hobbystore the other day to hear if they could get hold of D and E motors, and he told me that the the supplier they used had stopped importing rocketmotors in general. That kind of sucks... :mad:

And that leads me to the question; Is it possible to ship rocketmotors outside the US? To Norway, for example? Does anyone in here know..? I doubt that it can be sent by airmail, but what about on sea?

(I can get C and D motors from another hobbystore. I think.... Anyway it's a much longer drive, and more expensive.)

I appreciate if anyone knows...

Ole Thomas, Norway.

Shipping out of the US is less of a problem than getting them IN to your country in most cases.

Motors are shipped from the US to most of Europe. Australasia and other destinations regularly, so getting them shipped to Norway shouldn't be a problem... you need to check with whatever are the relevant authorities in Norway (normally those dealing with explosives, pyrotechnics, and possibly firearms) about what the import/licensing requirements are for model/HPR rocket motors.

You will probably need to give them the UN numbers for them, I know AeroTech comes under UN 0186, UN 0275, UN 0351 and one other (0349?) but not sure on others such as Cessaroni, Estes etc.

I'm sure it CAN be done one way or another.

Ben

Ole:

I doubt if any hobby shops here in the USA would seriously consider "exporting" any model rocket motors to Norway.

Your best bet would be to

1. find out what the laws are in your country
2. make that extra drive to get thos CD motors....

There are several European motor importers that may be able to help you.

heres the Norway one you might want to call:

Hobbyco
Standveien 5
N-2000 Lillestrom
Tel. 063 837192
Fax 063 830451

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
Ole:

I doubt if any hobby shops here in the USA would seriously consider "exporting" any model rocket motors to Norway.

Sorry, I should clarify.... in general, motors are exported by the manufacturers, not by retailers.... though we have ordered from retailers in the US before... it's far less viable now as the restrictions and paperwork associated with exporting APCP has shot up in the last two years AFAIK.

Ben

doesnt Estes ship internationally? Iam not positive so i cant verify that.

I was thinking more of buying rocketmotors in the US, send them to a friend of mine in Iowa, and have her send it to me. I'm just curious if that can be done. I'll try to get in touch with some people who might know if it's possible.

Thanks for answering, guys!

Originally posted by OleLense
I was thinking more of buying rocketmotors in the US, send them to a friend of mine in Iowa, and have her send it to me. I'm just curious if that can be done. I'll try to get in touch with some people who might know if it's possible.

Thanks for answering, guys!

Just make sure she doesn't get caught. It would get ugly real quick. Wouldn't recommend it.

Having an individual ship motors here in the U.S. is quite touchy. They would need to contact the USPS, file the necessary forms, obtain the necessary permits, undergo the 'special' training (how to properly box, pad, seal, etc for shipment), and use the required box markings. All that just to ship domestically. I can only imagine what they might do to someone who ships this stuff across the border without the right paperwork.

Failure to follow the rules has gotten to be a major offense here in the U.S. Officially, it is a federal offense and could land them in a prison, depending on whether the federal prosecutor is in a bad mood and how much he wants to make an example out of someone.

Please don't ask your friend to try this. We'll find some other, legal way. Surely Estes can ship internationally? (After all, their products go all over Europe.) Have you contacted them directly?

Your next choice might be to contact some of the bigger mail-order outfits like AC Supply:
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_rockets.htm
or A2Z Hobbies:
https://www.a2zhobbies.com/model_rockets.html
I believe that Commonwealth ships world wide:
https://www.commonwealth.net/rocketstore/
I am sure there are many others, you just need to start digging through the websites

I wasn't aware of the fact that it was so tricky. I wouldn't dream of getting her into trouble!! If I decide to have a go at this, I want to make sure that everything is done by the book! I'm not taking any chances..!! No way!

Seems like Commonwealth can ship motors internationally. Thanks for the link!

And I would like to stress again that I WON'T buy motors from USA unless it's 100% legal. Model rocketry is fun, but I'm not interested in getting people (me included) into trouble...

Thanks for helping out, guys!

There are also distributors this side of the Atlantic! In fact, there are even distributors your side of the North Sea.
Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
heres the Norway one you might want to call:

Hobbyco
Standveien 5
N-2000 Lillestrom
Tel. 063 837192
Fax 063 830451
Also, Caveman Rocketry is in the Netherlands.

Take a look at the Dealers page of the European Model Rocketry website for more dealers. Quite apart from legal issues, I'd expect them to charge less for shipping. :)

Latest posts

Back