Ipod rocket locator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This may seem off topic but bear with me. A newspaper article in my home town related the story of someone who had Ipods stolen from their car, "pinged" them, and was able to give police their approximate location. This led to the arrest of the thief and recovery of the Ipods. So the question is could Ipods or similar be used as rocket locators?

I think Ric is asking about Apple's "Find my Phone" feature. This is on Apple moble devices that is setup within a 'family' iCloud account.

Find My Phone works fine... if you have cellular Internet access. I have heard of people using "extra" phones as trackers... not the smallest or lightest solution out there, though.

Find My Phone works fine... if you have cellular Internet access. I have heard of people using "extra" phones as trackers... not the smallest or lightest solution out there, though.
I’m starting to automatically assign these “can this be used to find a rocket” questions to the same mental category as the “can this engine swap work” questions from the old hot rodding magazines - the tech editors had a fairly pat answer, any swap will work, all it takes is enough cubic dollars to make it happen. The real question was, actually, why…not if…😉

This may seem off topic but bear with me. A newspaper article in my home town related the story of someone who had Ipods stolen from their car, "pinged" them, and was able to give police their approximate location. This led to the arrest of the thief and recovery of the Ipods. So the question is could Ipods or similar be used as rocket locators?
You would have to have the Find My Phone app on your iPhone and then it would have to be attached to the rocket. maybe stowed in the e-bay. With the price of phones, you would be better off buying a GPS tracking system. Then you can use your iPhone with the GPS coordinates entered into it, to find your rocket.

Back