Internal Ping-Pong Ball or Styro Snow Ball Loft - Spot Landers.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Narhams likes to plan and announce ahead "Fun Contest" monthly launch themes. Over the winter we had a couple planned. Styrofoam SnowBall loft Spot landing and later Ping-pong ball loft - spot landing.

These are always open to ALL motor classes but our club planning members try hard not to let me fly these events with MMX models (the first Picture below may show Why LOL!). Now the powers that be generally make some sort of requirement that they think will deter me from flying the event using Micro Maxx powered models. For both Ping-pong Ball and Snow ball Spot landing they decided these 40mm balls HAD TO BE housed internally in the boosting model.

I think I missed one or two of these event just because I was being lazy. but when the Club came up with two nearly back to back events I just had to come up with something for each or Both LOL.

Mass being the enemy I decided to look at creating a drafting vellum shroud but then thought why not build the majority of the model from vellum? The first one (Blue in the photo) came out rather rough but since it was supposed to be flown in November I wanted something that would show up in Snow. As it turned out the Launch was scrubbed do to extreme Cold wet weather and the poor thing just sat until Jan. 2013 before it's first launch.

Discovered our micro ejection charge doesn't have quite enough push to deploy the ping-pong ball at altitude. To help it along a small cardstock and T2 piston was installed in the payload area which preformed perfectly on it's 2nd flight.
Sorry I was busy watching for the ejection, forgot to click the shutter on the camera in my hand....Doh!

Lofter No.2 (Yellow) also mostly Drafting Vellum came out a good be better while keeping the mass to a bear minimum.
It was also set up to handle 2 outboard clip held Booster motors making it either a single motor or 3-motor cluster booster if the landing spot was placed any distance Away. As it turned out it didn't matter as the spot was close but the wind direction that day was opposite and constantly changing so we went with a single motor but only placed 3rd.
These models are a hoot to fly! Getting a decent altitude (about 60feet) for having a 40mm diameter.

Edit! Doh! forgot to put up the 1st Ping-Pong Ball Spot Landing entry LOL!!! I'll correct.

MM 358Lp06a_MM Sentinel PingPong Ball SL on pad_09-19-09.JPG

MM 392a_& b PingPong & Styro Ball landers_02-02-13.jpg

MM 392aLp01a_PingPong Spotland Lofter (1st flt)_01-04-13.jpg

MM 392b-Lp01_PingPong SpotLander on Pad(1st Flt)_03-23-13.jpg

MM-392b_40mm Ping-Pong Ball Lofter_11-05-12.jpg

Last edited:
Turely Jeff:
But Really it was a lot more fun flying the ping-pong ball off the nose of the Micro Sentinel. got much better altitude as well about 100ft. Landing the Ball "Far" from the spot while the streamered model came in about 3inches from the spot LOL!!!

Next is to built a T4 payload model to Loft my Pico Altimeter to 43ft. and 1/100th Mile(53feet) for the clubs Wall of Daring. Not sure if I can Cluster for the Wall of daring if so I'll also include 139ft(42m) Later this summer. Perhaps with my Adrell Alt-Led altimeter as it's a bit lighter.

Pico P1 Micro Alt,switch,Bat,T4 bay T4+ Sleeve_06-22-12.jpg

Adrel Alt-LED-b_ Alt,,Bat,Bay,Sleeve&Streamer_06-23-12.JPG

Back