Internal Combustion Engine Thermal Efficiency

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Funkworks

Reaction score
My guess is they use a variable compression ratio which is a mechanical marvel they claim having been first to release in an Infinity model. Here’s a Nissan video showing the mechanism at 1:22.

GM is also working on variable compression ratios and here’s someone with an explanation:

Still not battery level efficiency. But still awesome.

Last edited:

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an engine nut, love new designs, but this is like inventing a better candle when the light bulb was coming into fashion

Funkworks

Reaction score
But candles still sell!

I think ICEs will still be around for a long time but in dwindling numbers and kept for specialized use. According to a Toyota Corolla Hybrid salesman I talked to, the world still can't produce enough car batteries for everyone who wants one (like me).

neil_w

Yum yum rockety goodness
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think ICEs will still be around for a long time but in dwindling numbers and kept for specialized use. According to a Toyota Corolla Hybrid salesman I talked to, the world still can't produce enough car batteries for everyone who wants one (like me).
While it is true that BEV production is battery still battery-constrained, keep in mind that Toyota has for years had a corporate anti-BEV bias. Don't trust what a Toyota salesman tells you on this.

This has been a general problem with sale of BEVs: dealers are somewhat disincentivized from selling them since they don't bring in service revenue, and they have a tendency to discourage customers from buying them even when they're selling them. That's one reason Tesla doesn't want to sell through dealers (there are other reasons as well).

But: I agree completely that ICEs will be around for a while in a progressively reduced role. A more efficient ICE that is tailored for hybrids is a worthwhile development.

Funkworks

Reaction score
While it is true that BEV production is battery still battery-constrained, keep in mind that Toyota has for years had a corporate anti-BEV bias. Don't trust what a Toyota salesman tells you on this.
That was his excuse as to why he didn't have any in stock I could test drive: long waiting lists. It sort of makes sense though. No rush on my side. Been shopping for years now. lol.

jderimig

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I call BS on this one. The Carnot efficiency (actually theoretical Otto Efficency) of a ICE is 47%.

Latest posts