Interceptor F/G RC BG.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since my big X-15 came out too heavy for the G-12 reloads, I still wanted to try to see if I could upscale something I had done for them. I decided my homage to the Interceptor would be the best candidate since it is long and skinny and the CG shift isn't as critical. I used a modified KF airfoil strip on the bottom to add stiffness and hide the spar. AUW ready to fly with a G-12 and battery is 23 ounces. Length is 72 inches and wingspan is 34"

The rcgroups thread with more details is at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563544#post20252668

It's set up for rail, launch straight up. I made a 29mm adapter to fit into the mount and so I can use pretty much any 5" long or so 29mm motor that weighs around 4.5 ounces or less.

I used whatever markings I had, trim monokote, vinyl letters, sharpie marker for panel lines, etc. Took about 3 hours to do the markings and about 20 hours for the build including radio install and drawing the plans.

Hope you like it.

Frank

WP_001234.jpg

WP_001236.jpg

WP_001238.jpg

WP_001239.jpg

That looks really nice at that size, Frank!

Can't wait to see your launch vids.

Thanks Mike. You know, if I wasn't running a 4.5 ounce G motor, I could install a 2 ounce pusher motor, drop 2 ounces of nose weight and at 19 ounces ready to fly this would be a real screamer as an electric...

That looks really nice at that size, Frank!

Can't wait to see your launch vids.

Here is the maiden today, on a G-12, really docile nice high boost, really slow glide, no stall, just a gentle wing rocking, and easy flare. Thanks to John Lyngdal for taking the pictures and providing the motor and casing. I was trying to make as close a pass to John as possible, don't know how he managed to get me and the interceptor in the same shot before touchdown....

interceptorbig1.jpg

interceptorbig2.jpg

interceptorbig.jpg

Last edited:
That is so neat, Frank!!

It's really impressive how you managed to get the 'too rockety' looking Interceptor turned into such a nice flying glider!

I hope you're going to be posting vids of this, as well as the even more impressive large X-15 (which doesn't even look like a profile since you detailed it).

Thanks Mike, I'm really please with how it turned out and flew. Here is the flight video on a G-12. I was trying to launch it and hold the radio at the same time, so I accidentally bumped the elevator after launch as I was dropping the launch controller, so it takes a little push forward but it tracks very nicely hands off.

Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja-PlrF4NQ0

Here are some great photos by Gary Goncher at the launch in Oregon a week ago, flying on a G-12

Frank

fillibles_folly-7902.jpg

fillibles_folly-7879.jpg

fillibles_folly-5340.jpg

fillibles_folly-7926.jpg

Last edited:
Back