I miss the sci-fi "fighter" kits...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'know - we're sitting here bemoaning the loss of the old Estes Sci Fi kits, both fighters and bigger ships. So why don't we do something about it. Let's have our own little unofficial "DESCON" right here. No prizes (except for the fact that we'll all get access to a lot of cool new designs! :D ). The rules I propose are that we stick to currently available Estes parts (nose cones and tubes) plus home-made transitions, centering rings, and any other parts that can be made from cardstock, cardboard, or paper. No plastic model parts or anything that can't be scratchbuilt - the idea is that ANYONE can build these things out of commonly available parts. Also, you gotta publish the plans for everyone to build.

BTW, I suggest Estes parts not as a slight to any of the other manufacturers, but simply because they are available just about everywhere. Yeah - I know not EVERYONE has a hobby shop where they can buy the parts packs, but they are still, unfortunately, more available than Flis, Semroc, Totally Tubular, BMS or any of the other parts people. I'm thinking of designs here I can build with either a designer's special or a couple of kitbashed kits.

So Whatchaz think?

Greg

The SquirrelWorks kits are great, I highly recommend them. I'd like to build all their sci-fi kits, but so far only the SpaceCruiser FFE. Professionably packaged, reasonably priced, high quality BT, & all balsa parts, great waterslide decals, excellent directions. The only nit I would pick is the standard tri-fold shock cord mount.

-Paul

SpaceCruiser Thread

When I said I happened upon a stash of the PNC-50 cones, I didn't mean just 3 or 4. There were 48, and I bought 'em all. I'm giving serious consideration to kitting this one (the FireFox), but I'd like to get some opinions from you guys. Whatcha think?

Later,
EV

Originally posted by EchoVictor
When I said I happened upon a stash of the PNC-50 cones, I didn't mean just 3 or 4. There were 48, and I bought 'em all. I'm giving serious consideration to kitting this one (the FireFox), but I'd like to get some opinions from you guys. Whatcha think?

Later,
EV

It's a cool looking model, I would buy one.
William

I would buy a FireFox kit. If you got 48 of those nose cones, they will still be limited editions. Your build and design threads are great. I am impressed by your creativity, and willingness to share. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back