I miss the sci-fi "fighter" kits...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoVictor

Reaction score
After reading the recent posts about Rokitflite's Odyessy, I went back and re-read the voluminous "I Miss The Deep Space Fantasy Kits" thread.

While I've always been appreciative of the "long spindly" look (Andromeda, Alien Explorer, Starlab, etc.) and I think Scott has absolutely nailed it with his Odyessy, I've always been more partial to the short, squat "combat-fighter" look. My favorites were ones like the Estes Attack Craft Orion (#1374), Xarconian Destroyer (#1903), and the Skytracer (#1361)

I've scoured through the current offerings and have found a gem here or there (the FlisKits Stingray being the best IMHO), but haven't found one that really captures the old vibe I'm looking for.

Click on this link; https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes83/83est34.html
and then leaf through the next few pages. Not a "normal" looking one in the bunch.

I sat down and made a list of all the one I liked the most, and it finally hit me what it was. Every model that appealed to me had a unique (i.e. non-symmetrical) nose cone. The Orion has the trapezoid shaped cone and the Xarconian has that big cockpit design that each only appeared a couple of other times. The Skytracer cone got used a bit more (9 others, I think).

I do grab the occasional odd cone when I find it, but I just don't see any easy way of re-creating some of these other strange nose cones and making some really cool designs.

Anybody else with thoughts or ideas?

Later,
EV

the only way i see is a lathe and 1" belt sander. a good eye would be helpful in crafting these.

I must agree with stormbringer. I have a starfighter bash I will be posting in the next couple days that has a very asymetrical cone. I'll post a link here then. Sanding blocks and emery boards....

Originally posted by EchoVictor
After reading the recent posts about Rokitflite's Odyessy, I went back and re-read the voluminous "I Miss The Deep Space Fantasy Kits" thread.

While I've always been appreciative of the "long spindly" look (Andromeda, Alien Explorer, Starlab, etc.) and I think Scott has absolutely nailed it with his Odyessy, I've always been more partial to the short, squat "combat-fighter" look. My favorites were ones like the Estes Attack Craft Orion (#1374), Xarconian Destroyer (#1903), and the Skytracer (#1361)

I've scoured through the current offerings and have found a gem here or there (the FlisKits Stingray being the best IMHO), but haven't found one that really captures the old vibe I'm looking for.

Click on this link; https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes83/83est34.html
and then leaf through the next few pages. Not a "normal" looking one in the bunch.

I sat down and made a list of all the one I liked the most, and it finally hit me what it was. Every model that appealed to me had a unique (i.e. non-symmetrical) nose cone. The Orion has the trapezoid shaped cone and the Xarconian has that big cockpit design that each only appeared a couple of other times. The Skytracer cone got used a bit more (9 others, I think).

I do grab the occasional odd cone when I find it, but I just don't see any easy way of re-creating some of these other strange nose cones and making some really cool designs.

Later,
EV

https://moldinoldies.rocketshoppe.com/ ;)

I agree. While these kits may not be as popular or as sought after as the Interceptor, Mars Lander and Javelin/Super Flea combo ;) , they are a pretty cool bunch of kits. I've got several started to various degrees, and I've used Mike's parts with great success over the years. Some of the cockpit patterns that are in the Apogee Designer's Resource pack also make for some cool looking designs.

Ooooh, that's a purty tail-cone. Has it been built on something yet? I'd love to see pictures if and when....

In all truthfulness, I've been noodling a couple of desgins around in my head, and I wanted to see if there was enough interest out there to warrant putting together a small run of a kit or two.

The major drawback is of course, the nose cones! I'm aware of Moldin' Oldies and I've already talked to you, sandman, about the ol' droop-nose, but I'm thinking about 25 to 50 pieces as opposed to just 1 or 2.

Whatcha guys think?

Later,
EV

(snip)

Later,
EV
EV, thanks for linking to the '83 catalog. While I have seen a few of those rockets before, most of them are totally new to me... and really cool, too! Thanks!

While I've always been appreciative of the "long spindly" look (Andromeda, Alien Explorer, Starlab, etc.) and I think Scott has absolutely nailed it with his Odyessy, I've always been more partial to the short, squat "combat-fighter" look.

I have always wanted to take a stab at designing a modroc "scale" version of Luke's Snow-Speeder, or Buck's Starfighter. Those things always made me want to jump into one and take it for a spin. I want to build one based on something bigger than BT20 (if you know what I mean), maybe a model that is 18-24 inches long? Problem with a size that big is keeping it light enough to still fly nicely on a couple D12s. Oh well, someday---

I've always loved the sci-fi kits that Estes produced in the mid-eighties. They were so imaginative then (the things you could to with a few standard body tubes and a couple of nose cones!).

So I tried designing one of my own - I call it the Phoenix. I built it in two sizes - one for 13mm engines and one for 18mm. Both are made completely from computer printed cardstock (I figure each cost me less than a buck to build).

The little one flies great - the big one had a catastrophic recovery failure and blew out the body tube (chute hung in the tube and fused - nasty prang was the result). I quickly rebuilt the front tube , but haven't had a chance to fly it again.

Greg

Just for giggles, here's the aftermath of the crash. Because this is a cardstock bird, I only had to print a new copy of the front tube and strip away the damaged part. Easy to repair!

Greg

Originally posted by powderburner
or Buck's Starfighter...

The Centuri Buck Rogers kits still show up on eBay every now and again...

....haven't found one that really captures the old vibe I'm looking for....

Don't have the ones you are looking for, but you may want to look at the Galactic Wave and the Gravity Rider.

BTW, my nose cones have a built in cockpit on them.

Angelo,

I absolutely love my Galactic Wave. It's become my favorite flyer of my new-kit fleet. So much so that I now have a Sukhoi Su-47 and a Maverick in my build queue! The only reason I didn't mention Sunward is because your kits are pretty honkin' big.:)

Later,
EV

Originally posted by gpoehlein
I've always loved the sci-fi kits that Estes produced in the mid-eighties. They were so imaginative then (the things you could to with a few standard body tubes and a couple of nose cones!).

So I tried designing one of my own - I call it the Phoenix. I built it in two sizes - one for 13mm engines and one for 18mm. Both are made completely from computer printed cardstock (I figure each cost me less than a buck to build).

The little one flies great - the big one had a catastrophic recovery failure and blew out the body tube (chute hung in the tube and fused - nasty prang was the result). I quickly rebuilt the front tube , but haven't had a chance to fly it again.

Greg

Very cool! Did you enter this in the EMRR challenge.

Originally posted by racerx
The Centuri Buck Rogers kits still show up on eBay every now and again...

But it doesn't look much like Buck's Starfighter

I have a Desert Fox that I have about half done now. This will make my 3rd Sunward kit. I already have a MoonDance, and just did the first flight on a Star Watcher. Really nice flyer. Expecially for a streamer recovery. Didn't expect a rocket like that to have a streamer (I LOVE little streamer rockets).

I think my next one is going to be a Liberator. I like the looks of that.

~Bob

Fat Cat rocketry Had some nice Sci-fi Combat fighters like the F2H4 Banshee, Galactic Marauder, among others. To bad they closed up shope!

Update....

Whilst traveling over the holiday, I scored a stash of Estes PNC-50 nose cones. These are the trapezoidal-shaped cones that were on the Attack Craft Orion and Manta Bomber.

Now, what to do with 'em? Hmmm......

Later,
EV

**** you're good, Gordon!

For those that don't remember (or have never seen the movie), here's the plane...

Back