I launched my Drago for the last time this afternoon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdiscenza

Reaction score
I stand here today as a testament to the Wildman Oath (at least the part that says I will stuff the biggest motor I can find up the pipe)

I found a CTI 4-grain 29mm H170BS in the onsite vendors stash, and I thought, "hmmmm 24oz unloaded rocket plus H170BS equals either cool or really cool!"

I checked with my handy-dandy sim app, and it would stay under the standing 4,000-foot waiver, so I bought it, and stuffed it into my Drago.

What never occurred to me was, "will this rocket come *back* from 3000+ feet within the bounds of Great Meadow?"

Simple answer:

No.

It was truly a beautiful flight, straight up from the rail, 1.3 seconds of pretty blue flame, 11 seconds of coasting to apogee and perfect ejection timing. Then things started to go very wrong.

The parachute opened perfectly, no twisting of shock cord or shroud line, and looked like a little pink speck in the bright Virginia sky. I knew it would take a while to descend to tracking height, so I lay down on my back to watch the drift and prevent a kink in my neck. Once the 'chute was about the size of a quarter at arms length, it stopped getting bigger. Oh crap, a thermal. If I were flying competition b motor parachute duration events, I couldn't catch a thermal with all the sensors at NASAs disposal, but on my "lets watch my Drago go high!" flight, I caught the mother of all thermals.

The last I saw of my beautiful Drago, it was drifting NNW about 50 feet above the treeline where Great Meadow meets the road. I searched the yards of the nice people across the street, but to no avail.

The Drago is gone.

On the bright side, I will fill this new void with another rocket, though I will not own another Drago until Wildman releases the Dra-Glo.

Oh, and if anyone finds a black and green Drago in the Virginia countryside, and wants to return it to me, great, and if they don't, keep it under 2500 feet if they want it back.

G.D.

I feel your loss. I sacrificed my PML Bull Puppy over the 4th. About 3000 feet or so, perfect flight going up, good deployment, caught a thermal and drifted off into the woods or the lake right next to the woods. $200 flight, it was a good one though. Don't take it too hard, have a good one.
Matt

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Drago, that always sucks.:(

Yeah, it really gets up there on the large G and H motors. Heck even a 29mm 3 grain H motor you're looking at about 2,500 feet or so.

The biggest motor I have currently flown mine on was an H238T (29/180 case). It really scooted up there and drifted about 3/4 of a mile but I got it back with no problems.

The last flight was on the new AT G138T. Mind you at 157 N/s, this is nearly a full G motor and reached probably close to 2,000 feet.

Also, I think the 24 inch chute might be just a tad big. I'm highly thinking of down sizing it to an 18 inch and see what happens.:wink:

Sorry to hear that. I do not think I saw that flight but I remember you talking about flying the Drago after you recovered the bomarc.

Bummer Bro I hate losing rockets.

YOu know those wildman kits are Bullet proof. Next time just trow a streamer in it... It will come down FAST..

betterluck next flight

The last I saw of my beautiful Drago, it was drifting NNW about 50 feet above the treeline where Great Meadow meets the road.
My sympathies... I lost my first Shrox SHX-15B in that same area during NARAM-46.

I witnessed this flight--we were going to drag race our Dragos when you got it back, and I was wondering if you managed to recover it. It just disappeared behind the trees.
I remember seeing you tempt fate at Battle Park with an H90. You are an example to Dragonistas everywhere. Good luck with the Dra-glo.

Latest posts

Back