I just flew my Madcow Frenzy XL over 100,000 ft!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan

Reaction score
But it took six years. With the flight of my Madcow Frenzy XL yesterday at Battlepark it finally reached 100,000 ft in total combined altitude.

33 total flights: 16 J motors and 17 K motors
Total combined altitude: 100,381 ft
Average altitude: 3,042 ft
Lowest flight: 1,212 ft (J430)
Highest flight: 7,384 ft (K750)

It is currently on its third paint job. Here is how it has looked over the years:

Original 2015 paint job:
20905338914_3b4450cc67_b.jpg

Second paint job in 2017
51683147204_f8d4f8b7a7_c.jpg

Third paint job in 2019
51683151799_a34ea10afd_c.jpg

Last edited:
But it took six years. With the flight of my Madcow Frenzy XL yesterday at Battlepark I finally reached 100,000 ft in total combined altitude.

It is currently on its third paint job. Here is how it has looked over the years:

Original 2015 paint job:
20905338914_3b4450cc67_b.jpg

Second paint job in 2017
51683147204_f8d4f8b7a7_c.jpg

Third paint job in 2019
51683151799_a34ea10afd_c.jpg

Cool but you had me going there thinking something else.

All 33 of those flights were on CTI 54mm motors. This season at MDRA I hope to fly it on a 75mm motor and go for a new personal altitude record. I tested my T3 tracker at Battlepark yesterday so all I need now is a rare non-windy day at Higgs Farm.

awesome
Cool badge of honor

QUOTE="Nathan, post: 2203033, member: 10169"]
But it took six years. With the flight of my Madcow Frenzy XL yesterday at Battlepark I finally reached 100,000 ft in total combined altitude.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
If you're starting a new motor size, I say go back to the 2015 paint scheme to start at ground zero. Then again, I just really like that one. . .

Cool record. I might look to do something like that myself, but maybe at the 10k range, not the 100k. . .

Sandy.

They start out looking nice but I fly them a lot so the paint jobs always get trashed sooner or later.

We’ll done! That’s impressive. I’m currently building the exact same model with the 75 mm MM. Did you make any modifications to the standard kit?
Mine will have to earn its first coat of paint.

So, Nathan, I plan to launch my Performer 200 on another, albeit smaller, O motor this winter. If you are going for a personal altitude record, we should drag race. My last O went to a little over 15.000'. The second one will probably come short of that mark. The dare is on!

So, Nathan, I plan to launch my Performer 200 on another, albeit smaller, O motor this winter. If you are going for a personal altitude record, we should drag race. My last O went to a little over 15.000'. The second one will probably come short of that mark. The dare is on!
That's a bit higher than I plan to go, my current altitude record is 7,384 ft. My 75 lb Frenzy XXL is 75mm motor and is not likely to ever go higher than about 5,000 ft. Any personal altitude record attempts will be with one of my 4" rockets, like the Frenzy XL. I might put a L800 in my Frenzy XL and shoot for 10,000 ft if we get a relatively calm day this season. But I'll make you a deal; I'll help you recover your big Performer 200 if you help me recover my big Frenzy XXL.

Last edited:
This is a dumb question regarding aerodynamics that may have been answered elsewhere... What is the purpose of the split fins? Is it purely for looks, or is there another purpose? I would think that the split fins contribute more drag.

That's a bit higher than I plan to go, my current altitude record is 7,384 ft. My 75 lb Frenzy XXL is 75mm motor and is not likely to ever go higher than about 5,000 ft. Any personal altitude record attempts will be with one of my 4" rockets, like the Frenzy XL. I might put a L800 in my Frenzy XL and shoot for 10,000 ft if we get a relatively calm day this season. But I'll make you a deal; I'll help you recover your big Performer 200 if you help me recover my big Frenzy XXL.
Deal. If we're both there ... :)

This is a dumb question regarding aerodynamics that may have been answered elsewhere... What is the purpose of the split fins? Is it purely for looks, or is there another purpose? I would think that the split fins contribute more drag.
Just for looks. But sometimes they make a cool whistling sound.

High "coolness" factor: very important when walking to the pads..
High "skills" factor: you have twice the number of fins to glue in, and they must both be aligned to each other.. There is also, sometimes, an extra CR or two..

This season at MDRA I hope to fly it on a 75mm motor and go for a new personal altitude record. I tested my T3 tracker at Battlepark yesterday so all I need now is a rare non-windy day at Higgs Farm.

Oh cool, if you post your launch plans on the forum, it'd be fun to get back down to Higgs farm that weekend to watch.

All 33 of those flights were on CTI 54mm motors. This season at MDRA I hope to fly it on a 75mm motor and go for a new personal altitude record. I tested my T3 tracker at Battlepark yesterday so all I need now is a rare non-windy day at Higgs Farm.

Or at BattlePark! We just need another day or two like we had last year with no upper level winds. Probably end of March or April.

Congrats on the 100K. Now you got me curious and I'm going to have to dig through all my old records and find out how high Grapeshot ended up when it was retired after 50 flights.

Yes, please keep us posted on the launch plans. Don't want to miss it.

Oliver

PS: Any plans on having flyer tags with real and TRF usernames so I can recognize you guys in real life?
You have to learn to recognize people by their rockets. ;)

It's possibly inspired by the look of F-14s and other similar crafts, where the back fins acts as elevators, and the front wings are geometrically variable and have ailerons and flaps. Two very different functionalities.
f-14-phoenix.jpg
In the case of a rocket, one could imagine 2 different functionalities as well.

It's possibly inspired by the look of F-14s and other similar crafts, where the back fins acts as elevators, and the front wings are geometrically variable and have ailerons and flaps. Two very different functionalities.
View attachment 490567
In the case of a rocket, one could imagine 2 different functionalities as well.
Love The Cat… Anytime, Baby!

Congrats on 100k with the Frenzy! I love mine and have got 68,000 on eight flights so far. Only repainted it once thus far (a couple months ago) but didn’t change the style at all.

The frenzy loves 75mm motors. Out of my eight flights, seven have been on 75mm Ls and one was a 54mm K, and three times it’s broken 10,000’. If you’re Frenzy is light enough, an L395 mellow is a really fun motor, flown mine twice with MDRA on that motor.

Back