I found lakeroadster's next build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With some Lexan fins it should fly. Otherwise I'm not sure. A Flash Gordon rocket would be cool if it could be made stable. I'll give it some thought.

I took a cursory look at this rocket by running a simulation in Open Rocket. As suspected, it's not happy as a rocket, negative stability.

If the body tube is stretched out a bit... a stability of 1 can be obtained if the base drag hack is used. But I don't think it should be used in this application, the motors act as a boat tail.

All the motors in the back don't help with stability, and the reality is the motor exhaust will likely toast the other motors.

It's a lot more stable with just one big center motor... and that's probbaly the best way to build it.

1678990357507.png

1678990575232.png

I took a cursory look at this rocket by running a simulation in Open Rocket. As suspected, it's not happy as a rocket, negative stability.

If the body tube is stretched out a bit... a stability of 1 can be obtained if the base drag hack is used. But I don't think it should be used in this application, the motors act as a boat tail.

All the motors in the back don't help with stability, and the reality is the motor exhaust will likely toast the other motors.

It's a lot more stable with just one big center motor... and that's probbaly the best way to build it.

View attachment 569028

View attachment 569032
That's what I was thinking. Just one motor. I think I'll take a crack at it.

Two, three or even four mid cant motors would be much better. They could be hidden or integrated into the airplane fins. Not so much stinking nose weight. Then you could build out that hind end all Purdy like.

I'm thinking clear plastic balls on the wing and fin tips. Use base drag to keep it pointed up. I think. I doodled it last night. I'll draw a plan soon. I agree going to need a lot of nose weight. Right now I'm thinking 4" BT with a 38mm mount. I have a 2' long 4x4 of balsa I might try to turn into a nose cone. I looked at the nose cones I have. The elliptical 2.6" is close but the tube would have to be very short. So it will be a 4".

I'm thinking clear plastic balls on the wing and fin tips. Use base drag to keep it pointed up. I think. I doodled it last night. I'll draw a plan soon. I agree going to need a lot of nose weight. Right now I'm thinking 4" BT with a 38mm mount. I have a 2' long 4x4 of balsa I might try to turn into a nose cone. I looked at the nose cones I have. The elliptical 2.6" is close but the tube would have to be very short. So it will be a 4".

Since it needs a lot of nose weight... why use balsa? Save that for another project and use some inexpensive pine or something similar that can be purchased at Home Depot.

Since it needs a lot of nose weight... why use balsa? Save that for another project and use some inexpensive pine or something similar that can be purchased at Home Depot.
That's an idea I hadn't thought of. I already have some 4x4" stock now. I would have to shape it with a belt sander. No lathe. After basketball gets over I'll start on the wood.

Latest posts

Back