I can't believe these guys - What *not* to do

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Scientists" is a bit of an overstatement... more like backyard bombers... glad I don't live anywhere nearby.

PVC is NOT an optimum body tube material!

Stability is well understood-- try doing more than ten minutes of research before designing your next rocket-- if you do it's likely it won't corkscrew into the adjoining "suburb"...

Recovery is well understood-- again, reading is your friend... putting more than a couple seconds thought into recovery would be wise-- lawn darts, especially of 'plumbing supplies' is not recommended in a backyard setting, especially from high altitudes...

The "hazard flare" motors were rather interesting... :D Seemed like a LOOOONNNNNGGGG burn!

All in all, I'd give it a rating of... wait for it...
Two TOOLS...

:D
Later! OL JR :)

These are Aussies and not subject to our rules or interpritations. Common sence comes into play here somewhere but at least there's not a can of Fosters to be seen;)

I thought it was a nice bit of history for backyard rocketry in Australia. Reminds me of my earlier days in rocketry.

While I respect what you guys are saying, I STILL don't see how that really justifies this kind of stuff...

I mean, come on, with books and the internet there really isn't any valid reason to keep making the same kind of mistakes that have been done over and over again... I mean, it's not like it's Homer Hickam's day, when EVERYTHING was new and untried, and when the science of rocketry, the principles of stability and construction were 'dark arts' still only understood by the scientists in gov't labs...

I'll give the guys credit-- the hazard flare motor was WAY cool... but the rest of it, their 'airframes' and flights, are definitely graded as an "F"...

Maybe this sort of thing is the reason why rocketry is so restricted in Australia...

IMHO... OL JR :)

Something to remember... according to their captions, the stuff shown is all 15 - 25 years old. 1986 - 1996 in the timeframe from this work.

-Kevin

Something to remember... according to their captions, the stuff shown is all 15 - 25 years old. 1986 - 1996 in the timeframe from this work.

-Kevin

1986 is like yesterday to me.In 1986 there was plenty of information about rocketry available - like how to make a nose cone, how to get a parachute to deploy, how to use body tubes instead of PVC pipe - these guys are jokes.

1986 is like yesterday to me.In 1986 there was plenty of information about rocketry available - like how to make a nose cone, how to get a parachute to deploy, how to use body tubes instead of PVC pipe - these guys are jokes.

In Australia?

That's correct, it is fairly old video and during that period of time it was a bit difficult to find a lot of information. Actually, during that period of time I put together a Rocket Source book to help find suppliers and vendors of rocket kits and supplies. Today, it is much easier to find information through the internet. So, what they are doing in the video is not what you would do today but, that is how you did it not so many years ago at least as a backyard rocketeer.

In Australia?

That's correct, it is fairly old video and during that period of time it was a bit difficult to find a lot of information. Actually, during that period of time I put together a Rocket Source book to help find suppliers and vendors of rocket kits and supplies. Today, it is much easier to find information through the internet. So, what they are doing in the video is not what you would do today but, that is how you did it not so many years ago at least as a backyard rocketeer.

No books in Australia? Sorry, I stand corrected

Sometimes the most RANDOM HAPHAZARD rocketry activity translates to the most Thrills-ville type FUN !!!

Sorta like playing with power tools.
The only thing better than playing with power tools is the DRUNKEN playing with power tools !!! :neener:

Back