Hydo dipping!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Kellogg

Reaction score
OK, so I noticed that nothing came up for hydro dipping as a finishing paint job, and I wanted to start a thread on it to see if anyone would upload their hydro dipped pieces and/or give me some tips on how to better my technique on hd.

I used the basic spray paint layers in a bucket way that I learned off youtube, but like all other things, I know that there is someone with much more experience than me, and I know that I know very little. And welcome knowledge.

My first HD nose cones came out OK, but not what I completely wanted. They are pretty bumpy from water drops getting under the paint film. Any tips on how to prevent this?

Also, due to the lack of people doing this paint trick, I also have wondered whether there is a good reason for it that is lost to me and I should be made aware of?

The photo is of my first HD nose cone for a high flyer xd kit. Hope someone likes it lol. Anyways, I hope I get some tips, and hope to maybe see some others take a crack at it for the cool looks!

-Hadrian

P.s.
Painting a rocket with black primer and a flouresant paint coat on that makes the rocket amazing looking in the light.1584505696789.jpeg1584505727229.jpeg

Oh man! I had this really dope Blue and black nose cone I hydrodipped but I can't find it. Anyway I tried hydrodipping spray paint over water, but never tried those pattern sheets you can buy. I generally like just spray paint better though, but marbleimg can look cool

I played around with it some. I used enamel paint. I tried it with spray paint and small jars of paint. I tried it with a base coat on the rocket and just some 'splash' colors over the base coat. I was going to do a 98mm min dia rocket. But I eneded up not doing it. Below is a tube I was playing around with.

hydro.jpg

Tony

Dude that looks awesome!!! And I'll look into that! Quick question though. How do you dip the tube without making it soggy and collapse in on itself? Or is it a different material than cardboard?
I played around with it some. I used enamel paint. I tried it with spray paint and small jars of paint. I tried it with a base coat on the rocket and just some 'splash' colors over the base coat. I was going to do a 98mm min dia rocket. But I eneded up not doing it. Below is a tube I was playing around with.

View attachment 409517

Tony

Latest posts

Back