Quantcast

How Would YOU Build This Weird One?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this photo of a Gary Larson-inspired rocket recently. The post said the rocket was six feet tall, and flew well.

My initial thought was- if this was to be a 6" dia. rocket, then the central motor/ parachute tube would be 3" or maybe 2.56". The 6" dia. body tube would be cut at an angle somehow- a compound miter saw maybe (which I don't have). Past that- I haven't figured out the next steps.

I thought this would be a fun project to undertake. Love to hear your thoughts as to how you would accomplish the build.

vyhnp81c6wp51.jpg4e2c8909f787a1a8ed9a074bc27683d1.jpg

HHaase

Reaction score
I'd take that 3" center tube all the way to the nose cone. Then judicious use of centering rings to hold all the 'bent' sections to the central main tube. Doesn't exactly need to be perfect cuts on the bent section, I mean..... that's kinda the point.

-Hans

JohnCoker

Reaction score
I would 3D print couplers to join straight sections of tube.

TSMILLER

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been meaning to get one of these. Seeing this thread and looking at the photo gallery (didn't know that it was here til now) I pressed the button, defied the Mrs and purchased not one, but TWO!
I'll build both of them, decorate one myself and let the 6 YO run wild with the other.
(We've done a few low power kits together, I don't think he is quite ready for this one yet!)

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I was doing an upscale, rather than reworking all the geometry and math I would just enlarge all the centering rings and shroud templates by the amount of the upscale. Buy a kit, enlarge everything, start cutting.
The old Fliskits site had different skins for the Acme spitfire, including a Mercury Redstone skin.
Don't know if they are archived in the Wayback Machine, I'll do a fast check.

Senior Space Cadet

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this photo of a Gary Larson-inspired rocket recently. The post said the rocket was six feet tall, and flew well.

My initial thought was- if this was to be a 6" dia. rocket, then the central motor/ parachute tube would be 3" or maybe 2.56". The 6" dia. body tube would be cut at an angle somehow- a compound miter saw maybe (which I don't have). Past that- I haven't figured out the next steps.

I thought this would be a fun project to undertake. Love to hear your thoughts as to how you would accomplish the build.

View attachment 445725View attachment 445726
What's weird about it? That's the way all my rockets look:).