How to reduce wind noise (cell phone recording)???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I'm sticking this here rather than in the "Electronics" section in hopes that more people will see/respond.

I've been going through a bunch of videos (mine and others), and am really annoied by the amount of wind noise. Having a day without wind around here is really rare, so what can I do in the meantime? What have *you* done to reduce wind noise? The best thing I can come up with is to use an external microphone with a wind sock. Other than that, maybe just a sock on the bottom part of the phone where the microphone is.

I've seen wind muffs (or dead cats, as they're known) for smartphones and they do help a lot. If you are editing video on a computer before uploading to YT or the like, you can run the audio through Audacity (free, open source audio editor) to limit wind and other noise.

External mic with a dead cat should be a marked improvement in audio quality over the internal mic on your phone.

Might not be an exact answer to your question, but it is something I have done when trying to get 'better' audio when doing build videos. I happen to have 2 iPhones (the wife knows about both of them, so chill. . . ) and I installed an audio recording app on one of them. I would put on a flannel shirt buttoned all the way up so it didn't move a lot, put the phone in the pocket and close the flap (can't remember if I buttoned the flap or not, but likely not). I would then use the other phone to record video and the one in the pocket to record audio. That helped keep the audio from getting all the wild noises you get when moving around. These weren't professional videos, just for helping people learn a technique or something like that.

My wife worked in professional video (not that kind. . . CHILL!!!) and most of the time, the camera people had a fairly good production, but if they were working with an inexperienced audio crew, it was really hard to edit. They got to the point that with a staged interview with 3 cameras (give or take, depending on the setting), they would run audio on all cameras, have a floor mic, a ceiling mic, a boom if possible and would put lav's on every person they could, even if not positioned perfectly, just to get a servicable audio track. All of this was remote, not on a production stage, so you got hit with lots of variables, but a person holdig a mic in front of a person being interviewed wasn't an option. . .

So, if your goal is to do hand-held cellphone video of a launch (or pad video etc.) a dead cat is what the industry uses, as Budro0 said, but taping a piece of flannel is quick, cheap and easy so you can see if that meets your goals.

Sandy.

Simply get a cotton ball and tape it lightly over the microphone and the wind noise disappears. This works just like the foam covers you see on professional mics because the cotton ball softens the wind before it enters the microphone.

If you're in iOS 13 or later, go to the video, tap Edit, then tap the adjustments wheel and get it almost to the very end. Select the “noise reduction” tool and get it where you want.

If you already have recorded footage with wind noise, you need to turn to video editing tools to remove the background noise. Audacity is a free, open-source audio editing software program that can remove various background noise from audio clips. It is quite simple to remove wind noise with Audacity.

Last edited:
Back