How to extend a motor tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketkyle

Reaction score
My last peice of 54mm motor tube is 1/2" too short for the 440cc Hypertek tank. How would I extend it for that last 1/2"?

Thanks,
Kyle

The motor mount that I have is 24". The Hypertech motor with the 440cc tank is 24.2".

Do you have anything in the rocket that would get in the way of the tank it it were to hang out of the motor tube a little? This might not be possible since I am not familiar with the specifics of the Hypertek system.
Reed

It'll be fine, you really only need about 16", just enough to support the injector bell. Just as long as it doesn't matter to the rocket if it sticks out the top.

I'm a little lost here.

If the motor is 24.2" long and the motor tube is 24" long, how is that too short? Doesn't the motor hang out the back at least 1/2" or maybe 3/4"? (btw, I recognize xenon's and hokky's posts on length as valid).

Am I dumber than a box of rockets, --Lance.

the Hypertek feul grain has a built-in thrust ring at the bottom. I would like to take advantage of the thrust ring. The motor will be kept in by an Aeropac motor retainer. If it sticks out the bottom, then I would have to leave the retainer off. I will most likely do what xenon and hokkyokusei said.

Thanks.

I could probably just leave it as is, because since this rocket will be strickly dual deploy, I could epoxy a bulkhead 1/2" above the top of the MMT. My dad and I always epoxy a bulkhead above the MMT on dual deploy/ Hypertek rockets.

I'd like to ask "how much motor sticking out of the top of the MMT is too much?". I have a Binder Design Excel Jr. that I have just setup with dual deployment and started looking into the longer 29mm motors. I have not added the anti-zipper coupler and bulkplate to the booster section and, at the least, wanted to insert a custom size centering ring that the longer RMS casing could slip into for support. This is my first time so please, be gentle!!

As long as you have supports you should be fine. Dennis LaMonte had a cluster of 3 homemade N motors, and all they had were wooden supports all the way up.

Good luck,
Kyle Cornelius.

Back