How to choose between Launch Pad, LOC and Madcow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering a scale rocket offered by Launch Pad, LOC and Madcow (size a little different). I'm sure they're all great kits, but how would they compare? I assume one is more complete, one is less expensive, one is tougher, etc. If anyone can provide a bit of the "philosophy" or the priorities for each of these companies, it might make my choice easier.

What is the scale kit you are wanting to build? And what size and motors do you want to fly it on? The diameter and intended motor differences may change which place is best to buy from.

Last edited:
Maximum 2.6", but budget for this particular project is less than $100. I mostly have a paint scheme I want to try.

Launch Pad kits are in the low range of mid power. Some people love them as they are builder kits; that means you do a lot of work shaping parts. Not my favorite kits as they are not the strongest kits and I am hard on rockets. Also, they are no longer in production. Not suitable for Estes D motors even though they list them as acceptable. You need composite E and F motors for these rockets.

I have several Loc kits and for the most part really like them. I am working on their 38mm V-2 right now and this is the first Loc kit that I am not impressed with. Getting the tail cone and fins to attach to the motor mount is proving to be a tough challenge. The plastic tail cone is warped and the fins required more rework than I expected for a Loc kit. I can't recommend this one.

I don't have any Madcow kits, but have heard nothing but great things about them.

My issue with Launch Pad kits is they do not coming with any decals for markings. However, Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack has most of The Launch Pad kits available on Ebay now. The only one I've build was the Exocet MM40. It flew well, but first flight ended in the top of a tall tree, which was a real bummer.

Another issue with Launch Pad kits is that TLP is no longer producing kits so availability is very limited.
What Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack has appears to be plan packs, not kits, the plan packs are just that, PLANS, which is kind of appropriate as TLP kits were a collection of the correct materials more than pre-cut kits. I have a plan pack for the Nike Hercules it was complete but definitely required careful reading.

Madcow and Loc are pre-cut kits with instructions, and most everything needed to build. All three companies are good choices, but TLP imo will require more effort to build.

Last edited:
All their tubes are cardboard.
Madcow also sells fiberglass tube kits.
However, Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack has most of The Launch Pad kits available on Ebay now.
Uncle Mike's sells the plan packs on Ebay, not the kits. Kits were sold out years ago.

Launch Pad's philosophy on design was similar to Dynastar: Build 'em light for maximum performance on smaller, less expensive motors. Thin wall instead of thick wall cardboard, balsa instead of plywood fins, fiber centering rings instead of plywood, etc. Drawback is that lighter also means less durable, especially to landing damage. They are builders' kits, meaning no laser or die cut fins, no decals, no instructions on placement of launch lugs. You are expected to already have the building skills to do those things.
Instructions in most TLP kits recommend you paint the balsa fins with thin CA to strengthen them.
I have many kits from all three of them. Never came across a lemon yet. Depends on your build philosophy.
Hope this helps. Cheers.

Indeed, most of The Launch Pads products on eBay are "Plan Packs".

I only have experience with one LOC build, and none of the rest. I built the 3" IRIS from LOC and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pretty simple design, really, so it wasn't a hard build. I'm pretty impressed with how it went together and the materials feel like decent quality. I'll definitely build more from them.

Back